You are here

SPSP Board Meeting Notes, Summer 2013

 

SPSP Meeting Notes July 17-19, 2013, Chicago

 

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Zárate; (Wood absent)

Committee Chairs, Members, other Representatives: Bosson, Finkel, Forsyth, Lowery, Mackie, Munoz, Payne, Schneid, Sommers; (Fitzsimons absent)

Executive Office: Claas, J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

 

The SPSP, Inc. Executive Committee Meeting was convened at 8:40 AM.

 

Introductions, Agenda, and January 2013 Meeting Minutes

David Funder asked attendees to introduce themselves, presented an overview of the agenda and supplementary materials, and reviewed who is eligible to vote. He proposed an amendment to the January 2013 Meeting Minutes, changing the wording of an item on the "big picture items” list page 13 from "Addressing data fraud and appointing a Task Force to look at related issues” to "Identifying the dependability of research findings and appointing a Task Force to look at related issues.” The minutes, as amended, were approved by a vote of 10-0-0.

 

President’s Report

David Funder expressed his gratitude to the outgoing Members-at-Large, Wendi Gardner and Sam Gosling, for their exemplary service on the Executive Committee (EC). David announced the newly elected members to the EC: Mark Leary (President-Elect), Sanjay Srivastava and Toni Schmader (Members-at-Large), and Paula Pietromonaco (reelected for a second term as Division 8 APA Council Representative). Their terms begin 1/1/14.

David noted that the agenda for the meeting was full and that the meeting was organized to include breakout groups to discuss particularly pressing issues. He noted several issues requiring careful attention at the meeting, including (a) Executive Office reorganization, (b) changes in the SPSP, Inc. bylaws, (c) the Executive Director search, (d) discussion of legal action, (e) SPSP convention challenges, (f) web development, (g) the CRSP journal proposal, (h) SPN’s request to SPSP, (i) current status of SPSP/FPSP relations, (j) research and publication standards, and (k) SISPP and SURP. He concluded by noting that SPSP has a lot of "balls in the air” and cautioned the Society needs to "catch a few before adding too many more.”

 

Executive Officer Report

Jack Dovidio identified some immediate and longer-term issues facing the Society, including fundamental changes in the structure and function of the Society and the challenge of building an infrastructure that can support the increasing initiatives of the organization and not require excessive resources. He pointed out the budget being proposed for 2014 projected a substantial deficit. While some of these expenses were transitional expenses unique to 2014 (e.g., staff overlap), many would be continuing, fully expended, and increasing financial commitments (e.g., salaries for continuing staff). He explained that he had many discussions with committees to encourage them to trim their requests to the most important ones. They were very cooperative. However, as a result, there will be difficult decisions to be made about priorities at the EC Meeting. SISPP has always relied on NSF grants; SISPP summer sessions incur costs around $213,000. A new grant will need to be written soon. If not approved, SPSP will need to discuss covering the cost of the 2017 SISPP.

Publications income represents a significant portion of SPSP, Inc. revenues, and the questions about the future of the publication model in psychology are serious ones that the Society needs to consider as it charts its future. He concluded by saying that the Society has the reserves to handle a deficit in 2014 and that it should not be "penny-wise, pound-foolish.” However, the decisions it makes at this meeting needs to consider the infrastructure requirements (Susie Schroeder noted that she devoted 274 hours to working in SISPP-related issues this year) and the long-term health of the Society. There was no action to increase SPSP dues for next year, but the EC did acknowledge that a sizable dues increase might be considered in the near future.

Jack sought input on the time and location for next summer’s EC Meeting. Subsequent discussion at the meeting, while reinforcing the earlier decision that the SPSP, Inc. Summer Meeting no longer has to be scheduled in conjunction with the APA Convention, produced the recommendation that the Summer 2014 EC Meeting be held immediately following the 2014 APA Convention. The APA Convention will be held in Washington, DC, the possible location of a new SPSP Executive Office, and having the EC Meeting immediately after the APA Convention will limit the travel requirements for Division 8 APA Council Representatives for that year. It was agreed that the EC meeting for the summer of 2014 would begin on the morning of Sunday, August 10th. EC members were asked to avoid speaking at the APA Convention on Sunday and, although the EC Meeting is tentatively scheduled to meet until 3:00 PM on Monday, but to hold the dates of August 10-12 for the EC Meeting in 2014.

 

Membership

Jack Dovidio reviewed the membership report, noting that although SPSP, Inc. membership increased overall, the number of regular members decreased with more growth in the student numbers. He recognized the efforts of Victoria Claas in correcting the membership records and bringing them up to date. Jack also pointed out that the current membership categories do not align with the current bylaws; this should be an issue to consider in revising the bylaws. Also, he observed that the Society does not pursue members who lapse, and that might be a new initiative as staff time permits.

 

Budget and Financial Reports

Jack Dovidio reviewed the 2013 Proposed Budget and the Proposed 2014 Budget, discussing the potential 2014 deficit, highlighting some of the incremental requests to be considered at the meeting, and noting the financial reserves of the Society.

 

Chief Financial Officer’s Report

Susie Schroeder reviewed her major activities since the last meeting. She presented SPSP, Inc.’s current Financial Holdings and the current SPSP investment strategy, and she explained how funds will be transferred so that all money will be in insured accounts. She highlighted changes since the last meeting and also explained the activities she has engaged in to support SISPP. Susie urged the Society to consider the financial and administrative support required when deliberating about new programs.

Members of the EC indicated that they had received an electronic copy of the SPSP, Inc. 2012 tax return and had the opportunity to review it.

Susie explained that the officers have approved a modification to the Asset Management Plan that includes investing an additional transfer of funds to the ARVEST CDARS program and the opening of an Arvest Money Market Account. This change was based upon the advice of the TIAA-CREFinstitutionalinvestmentadvisersin order to avoid the market risks associated with thecurrentbond market.

Susie reviewed the Summer Reimbursement Guide, which reflects the additional upgrade in our reimbursement system to satisfy banking regulations and document the payment options for individuals.

 

2013 New Orleans Post-Convention/FASEB Follow-Up

Wendi Gardner presented findings from FASEB’s survey of convention attendees after the 2013 SPSP convention, including the highly positive responses to preconferences and the positive assessment of the SPSP convention program. Survey respondents were least satisfied with the box lunches (again). Wendi noted the attendees responding showed little support for increasing the number of concurrent sessions, but there was interest expressed about archiving appropriate aspects of the program. Another request was for better and more comprehensive WiFi access, which will be provided in the Austin Convention Center

Wendi explained how the Society formally gave FASEB feedback in 2012 about the submission, award, and registration portals, the on-site registration process, and personnel issues. She also reported that FASEB contracted with a new I.T. service (Mira) for this year, which started later than it should have, and FASEB acknowledged the problems with this year’s submission portal. FASEB agreed to start working on next year’s portal right after the 2014 meeting. FASEB also indicated that changes are being made to address other concerns.

While EC members acknowledged some positive aspects of FASEB’s performance and organization (e.g., access to financial transactions, financial transparency, reduced overall cost, and their general professionalism), members of the EC expressed disappointment that some of the issues (e.g., registration portal problems) that led the Society to change event planners to FASEB continue to be problematic issues.

Don Forsyth reported that he is optimistic with the scheduled August 5th registration portal opening. Wendi added that FASEB said it will double its staff for peak times to address the long registration lines that occurred in New Orleans.

 

Preconference Services Task Force

Wendi Gardner reviewed the Task Force Report. She explained, in response to questions, the origin of the proposal to contract with FASEB for preconference management for Austin 2014, since it is not part of FASEB’s current contract with SPSP. Brian Lowery asked what the relationship between preconferences and the SPSP convention and program "is and what we want it to be.” Discussion affirmed that SPSP should not curate the content of preconferences, but that it is in the interest of the Society, its members, and preconference organizers and attendees to support the logistic aspects of preconferences, especially in view of their popularity. It was also suggested to provide a clear statement describing this year’s new service, the reasons, and a clarification of the relationship. A better general description of what a preconference is and is not, especially for lay people and press, is also recommended. A straw vote of those present indicated strong support for contracting with FASEB for 2014 preconference management services.

There was considerable debate about whether SPSP, Inc. should increase registration rates – either by a flat fee of $5.00 per attendee or a progressive fee ($3-$5-$7 for the different membership categories) – or absorb the cost within the SPSP, Inc. budget of preconference management. There was also discussion of the importance of evaluating the effectiveness of the FASEB management services with surveys of preconference organizers, as well as attendees.

A proposal for SPSP to contract with FASEB to provide services to facilitate preconference management for up to two years – to be evaluated after the first year – was supported by a 10-0-0 EC vote. Preconference management and how costs will be handled for the 2015 convention will be considered by the EC after reviewing the 2014 evaluations. The 2014 budget was revised to reflect the decision to have SPSP absorb the cost associated with the FASEB’s preconference management.

Wendi and Jack were asked to work with FASEB to formalize arrangements, and the members of the Task Force were charged with communicating the arrangement to preconference organizers, creating the appropriate mechanisms and post preconference evaluations, and handling other related administrative issues. Ashley Foster has been designated as FASEB’s preconference coordinator.

The EC enthusiastically supported the request of ARP for an annual preconference slot preceding the SPSP convention.

 

Convention Committee

Brian Lowery reviewed elements of the Convention Committee Report in the Agenda Book. He indicated that the 2015 meeting would be in Long Beach (CA) on Feb. 26-28. He noted that the issue of having badges of different colors to designate the press (and/or exhibitors, invited speakers, EC members) was reviewed by the Committee along with the costs (outlined in their Report). The Committee did not see it as cost effective at this time. However, subsequently Brian and Lisa Munoz agreed that ribbons for press would be used this year at minimal cost.

Brian further commented about the photography restriction at the last SPSP conference and that the Convention Committee supported a more open policy. Lisa Munoz explained relevant issues and members discussed the idea that presentation at the meeting is a public dissemination of the information, and the recommendation to begin archiving individual presentations was discussed. Lisa recommended a permanent link to SPSP.org to have items archived annually, and Erica Schneid suggested that the archives be indexed by topic or session.

Several members at the meeting supported archiving selected elements of the conference (e.g., Training Committee Preconference, invited symposia and addresses). Members working on different aspects of the conference subsequently requested funds to hire a videographer for the 2014 SPSP Meeting for recording and archiving presentations. This request was supported by the EC in its later budget vote.

Keith Payne reported that, after some delay, the Student Awards Portal had just opened, eight days late. He explained the significant amount of time Convention Committee members devoted to developing and testing the portal and expressed disappointment with FASEB in this area, particularly in light of the problems last year.

Keith also noted that the Convention Committee would like to initiate site selection for the 2016 conference. After discussion, the EC subsequently decided to support contracting with FASEB for 2016 site selection services in its 2013 budget vote, but to delay a decision to continue the overall contract. Wendi, Jack, and Keith will work with FASEB on the 2016 convention site contract.

There was further discussion of SPSP priorities in convention site selection. Members present argued against selecting locations that have made legal and policy decisions inconsistent with the social values of the Society. The Society currently considers the environmental standing of locations in its site selection, and the proposal was to include the Society’s concerns for supporting its diverse members in the decision, as well. Members noted the potential value of having the conference in locations that have recently passed legislation and policies that appear inconsistent with SPSP values to bring scientific information to bear on these issues through local press. After the discussion in the subsequent break-out session, it was agreed that SPSP would not prohibit initial consideration or exploration of a site based on these issues, but that SPSP would consider these issues and priorities in its final site selection decision.

The slate of potential new members of the Convention Committee (if they are members of the Society at the time) was approved in a subsequent EC vote.

The EC commended the Convention Committee for their hard work.

 

Program Committee

Eli Finkel, representing the Program Committee, described a number of problems that delayed the launching of the submission portal this year.

The slate of potential new members of the Program Committee (if they are members of the Society at the time) was approved in a subsequent EC vote.

The EC expressed its appreciation to Eli and Cheryl, as well as to the other members of the Program Committee, for their stellar efforts and imagination.

 

Diversity and Climate Committee

Sam Sommers described the 2013 SPSP Diversity Reception as a great success. The "admired scholars” component was well received, and the continuous loop PowerPoint of the Student Diversity Award recipients was a nice addition. EC members commended the DCC for its work on the reception and expressed enthusiastic support.

The DCC was concerned about the limited number of respondents (~15%) who answer the diversity questions. Currently people need to actively seek out their Member Profile link to make changes. Also, dues can be processed without entering demographic fields. The DCC asked whether the demographic questions can be moved to the step before credit card processing. The DCC will work with Don Forsyth on the wording, placement, and presentation of the diversity questions when people join the organization and renew their membership online.

The Student Diversity Awards portal’s diversity questions have been updated for 2014, and the deadline for applications has been extended to August 9.

Jack Dovidio asked the DCC to assess the response of underrepresented students attending the conference to help guide new initiatives to make the conference a more satisfying and productive experience for them. Sam indicated that the DCC would take that under consideration.

Michael Zárate suggested a diversity representative, such as a Diversity Chair with a 3-year term, be included as a member of the EC in a revision of the bylaws.

The slate of potential new members of the Diversity and Climate Committee (if they are members of the Society at the time) was approved in a subsequent EC vote.

 

Graduate Student Committee

Erica Schneid described the popularity of the GSC events and activities at the 2013 conference and the plans for the upcoming conference. For 2014, the GSC would like to have the ORA’s presented at the GSC symposium and is interested in having a table set up for students to register on-site for individual events.

She asked about the status of the SONA/Millisecond sponsorship for the GSC (off-site) social event, and Jack Dovidio agreed that the Executive Office would follow up with FASEB. (Note: After the meeting, it appears that a much improved sponsorship agreement has been offered. FASEB/ SONA/Millisecond are working on finalization.)

Erica mentioned some ways the GSC would like to improve the "Speed Data-ing” event, which includes providing some refreshments. In its budget vote, the EC subsequently approved additional funds for refreshments for the Speed Data-ing event at the 2014 conference.

 

Training Committee

Jennifer Bosson discussed several Training Committee initiatives. She described the efforts that have been devoted to developing the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) and the supporting materials. She said that the members of the Training Committee have ambivalent feelings about it. It was not a Training Committee initiative, but was a charge given to the committee to develop. The EC, which voted to support the program in principle at a previous meeting, continued to support it in principle but expressed concerns about its budgetary implications and priority given other issues for 2014. Several members of the EC pointed out that the materials developed by the Training Committee and the nature of the program make it an ideal candidate for fundraising. Trish Devine expressed deep appreciation for the Training Committee’s work, but she had questions about the timing and funding for the program. She said that postponing the implementation of SURP would relieve the Training Committee and the Executive Office of considerable administrative burden during the 2014 busy and complex transition period for the organization. David Funder reminded members of his concern about having too many balls in the air at one time. After further discussion, the proposal to support the implementation of SURP, contingent on funds generated through fundraising, was passed by the EC, 10-0-0. FPSP will be asked by SPSP to give this program high priority for fund-raising. No support for SURP was included in the 2014 budgeted expenses.

Jennifer stated that there are growing requests for video access to talks. A videographer has been identified for recording the 2014 Training Committee/GSC preconference. Questions were raised about videotaping: Is there a way to see whether these videos are actually watched? Will they impact attendance? Lisa Munoz stated the timing of posting the videos may impact this. She suggested "stream/immediate access” for press only and explained that a later posting (weeks or months later) for general viewing probably would not affect attendance at the sessions. She also noted that some videos might have a YouTube-type presence, and she recommended employing a professional who can properly edit for better results.

The EC meeting adjourned at noon.

The EC meeting reconvened at 1:00 PM.

Jennifer described the activities and value of the Training Committee Preconference, which is developed in collaboration with the GSC. She presented two requests from the Training Committee, related to the Training Committee Preconference. First, because two members of the Training Committee collaborate closely on the preconference, the Committee requested that both Training Committee Preconference organizers be reimbursed for lodging at the convention hotel on Wednesday night to support their work at the preconference (instead of the current practice to reimbursing only one Training Committee Preconference organizer). This proposal was supported in the subsequent EC budget vote. Second, the Training Committee requested funds for a videographer for posting presentations at the preconference for viewing after the meeting and archiving. This request was also supported as part of the joint request for additional funds for a videographer in the EC budget vote.

The slate of potential new members of the Training Committee (if they are members of the Society at the time) was approved in a subsequent EC vote.

 

Public Information Officer’s Report

Lisa Munoz highlighted activities and initiatives described in her written report. Tweets and Facebook activity has increased greatly in the past year; Eurekalert has produced thousands of hits and remains a good direct route to journalists. It was suggested that a call be issued to the SPSP members for op-ed and other knowledge dissemination pieces. David Funder explained that Lisa devotes considerable time as a developmental editor for each piece, and that the Society has to be selective in prioritizing Lisa’s activities.

Tech Media Network is a new project in which Lisa solicits articles from SPSP members and the service syndicates lay-friendly topics to the general public. The goal is to be increasingly responsive to current events.

Lisa reminded the members present that AAAS is meeting in Chicago at the time of the SPSP Conference in Austin, so direct press coverage will be limited. Consequently, she is reducing the number of press conferences at the meeting (to one), but she will do more press releases and blogging. She noted that journalists should now have free electronic access, with her approval, to PSPB and PSPR.

Members of the EC praised Lisa for her leadership in public outreach and in promoting personality and social psychology science.

 

Fellows Committee

Jack Dovidio reported on behalf of the Fellows Committee. Victoria Claas described the challenges of creating a current Fellows list, related to APA timing and procedures for Division 8 members, changes in Fellow status when people drop APA membership (of which members are often unaware), and gaps in previous SPSP recordkeeping. Jack praised Victoria’s initiative and resourcefulness in this area, noting that it will take substantial time for Victoria to discover where our information is incomplete or erroneous.

The slate of SPSP Fellows nominees in the Fellows Committee Report was discussed; Sam Gosling commented that there seemed to be a lack of personality presence in the list of proposed Fellows.  The EC voted to approve the slate of 22 SPSP, Inc. (and potentially Division 8) Fellows, 10-0-0. The Chair of the Fellows Committee will contact these approved candidates and explore their eligibility and interest for becoming Division 8 Fellows.

The slate of potential new committee members of the Fellows Committee (if they are members of the Society at the time) was approved in a subsequent EC vote.

 

Website

Web Editor Don Forsyth described two main functions of the current website, recordkeeping and outreach. He described the YM platform as "solid for basic functions” and remarked that "it works well.” It has handled dues processing, electronic voting, information collection, and the ability to email out to members well. He added that Victoria has made progress in correcting and updating our records. He asked that he be informed of any changes in membership categories. Don anticipates greater elaboration of the website next year, including building up the outreach portion, and he has been working closely with Jamie Pennebaker and Lisa Munoz on it. Don also stated that he has been working on fully documenting the procedures, activities, and changes on the website. A Team Management system was purchased and is providing documentation of tasks, schedules, and recordkeeping so information will be available to those following in web work.

Don indicated that he did not anticipate any major issues with dues this year, even with the change of the membership year to December 31st instead of August 31st. He will put out a warning for those trying to join in August that joining before September 1st would give them membership for 2013, not 2014. (Note: Subsequently, the dues renewal process date was changed to August 1 because of the scheduled registration launch date of August 15, so Don will send the alerts out earlier than stated above)

David Funder raised the issue that although the current website does many things very well, internal communications need greater attention. Don identified a number of capabilities of the current website for social networking, but he admitted that they were not well-utilized by members. David stated that several members have complained about the termination of the listserve and commented that they are much less likely to use a Forum because it requires a login with the member’s password. Don reported that many of the people who previously used the listserve were nonmembers. He will try to set up the SPSP Discussion Forum so a password log-on is not needed.

Members present at the meeting further noted that internal communications have been somewhat eroded by the absence of a newsletter. David Funder agreed to write a brief newsletter to be distributed electronically, and the members of the Web breakout group subsequently identified other actions that can be taken to address concerns about the demise of the listserve.

David Funder raised the issue of a request for reinstating a significantly more prominent request for donations to SPN on SPSP’s dues webpage where people join our Society or renew their membership. Don explained that the information is still presented at the start of the page, but in a slightly more condensed form. There has been a history of frequent confusion among SPSP members believing that their donation to SPN represented SPSP, Inc. dues. SPSP would prefer to avoid that. The EC voted 10-0-0 to support the current version of the opportunity to donate to SPN.

The Society expressed its deepest appreciation to Don Forsyth for stepping in at a critical time to assume additional duties not only to sustain the website, but also to organize and enhance it significantly.

 

Web Editor Task Force

Jamie Pennebaker explained that the current vision of the Task Force is very compatible with Don’s vision. He emphasized that further web development is constrained by the search for a new Executive Director, who may have relevant skills or ideas in this area. Nevertheless a general goal that can be pursued immediately is to make the website more user friendly. He remarked that web development requires coordinated effort of different people doing different jobs, and he explained that the Task Force offers a general roadmap, not specific plans. Other goals include building in an educational component, having a research component, and extending member services. Jamie also discussed the importance of SPSP seriously considering new ways of communicating outside of journals and talks, and developing new initiatives in this area. He proposed that the Society develop procedures for publishing (electronically) Proceedings of peer-reviewed presentations associated with the conference (much like computer science does). Eli Finkel emphasized the importance of great content and encouraged the Society to look for "low-hanging fruit” in its current activities.

The Task Force proposed an expanded role for Lisa Munoz and requested funds to support these new responsibilities. The EC supported this request in its subsequent votes for revising the 2013 budget and in establishing a 2014 budget.

The Task Force nominated David Nussbaum for a position as Web Editor (following Don Forsyth) for a 3-year term, beginning January 1, 2014. As Web Editor, he will (a) oversee the web content for SPSP members and the general public (This includes news, blogs, and communication among members and the general public.); (b) oversee the general operation of and programming of the SPSP website(In this sense, the web editor will work with others in the SPSP main office along with the SPSP Executive Officer or Director); (c) help in the transition to a central SPSP office structure in building ways to coordinate membership, dues, convention (FASEB); and (d) take an active role in developing a more dynamic and compelling website in ways consistent with the July, 2013 Web Task Force report. He is charged with making the web presence accessible, attractive, informative, and scientifically responsible for professional and lay readers. The nomination of David Nussbaum as Web Editor (starting 1/1/2014) was subsequently approved by an EC vote, 10-0-0.

 

Executive Officer Task Force

Paula Pietromonaco described the Task Force’s initial search for a new Executive Officer and how it yielded some excellent candidates. Paula has contacted those candidates to update them that the search is on hold because of the Executive Director search and that the changes in bylaws will likely reshape the nature of the position.

 

Executive Office Restructure Task Force

David Funder reviewed how the original plan for a Director for Administration and Finance evolved into a search for an Executive Director. He informed the group that there would be a meeting with the Search Committee and a representative of the search firm on Thursday afternoon. He explained how the search firm has helped the processes in many ways and that he was hopeful that an offer could be made around the beginning of October. He commented that there was a large and impressive pool of candidates.

 

Governance and Administration Task Force

Jack Dovidio briefly explained how the current organization and practices of the Society do not correspond to the bylaws, despite a 2007 revision. The Task Force presented four issues for preliminary consideration: (a) the establishment of a voting position on the EC, perhaps with the title of Vice President that will be appointed by the EC for up to two 3-year terms and will serve as a liaison with the Executive Director, but also be responsible for overseeing the operation of the Executive Office; (b) instead of having 1-year terms for a President-Elect, President, and Past-President, have 2-years terms for a President-Elect and President (and no Past President); and (c) reconsider the membership categories. Members present offered initial input. The Task Force plans to present a proposal for EC vote at the next EC meeting; a vote of the membership is also required for a change in bylaws.

 

EC Meeting’s Working Groups Session (Wednesday afternoon)

The members present at the meeting divided into four working groups on (a) Convention, (b) Website, (c) Publications, and (d) Bylaws. The Convention group discussed site selection criteria and coordination of archiving of selected conference events. Lisa Munoz commented that if these were made available after a limited delay following the conference, it is unlikely that there would be an adverse effect on attendance. The Website group consolidated ideas about next steps and discussed ways of making the transition while a new Executive Director is being selected and as new staff members are hired. It emphasized that the website needs to be integrated into "everything we do.” The Publication Committee noted that more interface with the web would be valuable. The Bylaws group discussed the issues the Task Force raised earlier, identified new member categories (Member, Retired Member, Early Career Member, Associate Member, and Student Member) and discussed phasing out the Secretary-Treasurer position and introducing an ex officio position of Treasurer with strong financial credentials (i.e., a CPA) to oversee the finances of the Society. It also considered the role of a Diversity Chair.

Members who participated generally found the breakout groups useful for problem-solving, coordination across committees, and generating new ideas.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 PM.

 

 

 

 

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Zárate; (Wood absent)

Committee Chairs, Members, other Representatives: Bosson, Finkel, Forsyth, Lowery, Mackie, Munoz, Payne, Schneid, Sommers; (Fitzsimons absent)

Executive Office: Claas, J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

The meeting was convened at 8:35 AM.

 

New Committee Members for 2014 Positions

The slates for new Committee members were discussed. One person was deleted from the SISPP list and two were added to the Publication Committee list for balance. There was a discussion acknowledging the importance of representing the areas of personality and social psychology across committees (as well as areas within personality and within social psychology) while meeting the needs for people with particular expertise or experience on committees. The established principle has been that all committees should be diverse – demographically and in perspective – and that the EC has the ultimate responsibility for appointing people to committees. Committees should be reminded by the Executive Office of the value of diversity and the importance of representing both personality and social psychological perspectives with the Society’s governance structure as they develop their list of nominees. The EC voted to support the list of nominees for committee assignment, as amended and pending verification of their membership in SPSP, by a vote of 10-0-0.

 

Award Committee

Trish Devine discussed the concerns of the current Media Award Panel about the Society giving awards to journalists. Lisa Munoz suggested that these concerns might be allayed if panels of journalists made the nominations. Further discussion suggested that changing the procedure would not fully address the nature of the issues raised by the Panel members. The commitment of the members of the Panel to the Society, the depth of their reservation, and their scientific leadership in the field were all acknowledged. However, members of the EC expressed disagreement with the Panel’s position. David Funder noted that a goal of the Society is to disseminate knowledge, and Sam Gosling noted the objective of promoting our science and that any awardee can decline the award. After full discussion and consideration of the complex issues – as well as recognizing that the continuing members of the Panel will likely choose to resign from it – the EC voted 10-0-0 to reaffirm SPSP’s Media Prize and Media Achievement Award. Jack Dovidio will inform the Media Award Nomination Panel members of the discussion and decision. The EC voted 10-0-0 that the Award Committee, currently chaired by Trish Devine, will discuss refining the Media Awards Nomination Panel, perhaps including a journalist.

 

Publication Committee

Diane Mackie described the many issues considered by the Publication Committee and highlighted central activities described in the report.

She reviewed the procedures of their PSPR editor search and recommended, in prioritized order, candidates for a 4-year term as new PSPR Editor, who would receive manuscripts beginning January 1, 2014. The nominations were enthusiastically received by the EC and supported by a 10-0-0 vote. When the negotiations are complete, the Executive Office will send a letter of agreement to the new Editor.

Diane mentioned that articles considered for the Student Publication Award (SPA) came from PSPB and PSPR but not SPPS, because the SPPS Editor had not identified an appropriate pool of articles. She said that the Publication Committee asked the SPPS Editor to develop a system for identifying papers that qualify for the 2014 SPA’s for next year, and he agreed. The EC endorsed the Publication Committee’s recommendation for the three papers to receive a Student Publication Award, 10-0-0. The Publication Committee will contact the award recipients and refer them to Susie Schroeder for payment arrangements. The monetary award will be sent to the first author of the paper.

Diane explained the logic of the Publication Committee’s statement of the requirement that students must be members of SPSP at the time of the award (but not necessarily at the time of submission of the manuscript.) This policy is the responsibility of the Publication Committee; the members present at the EC meeting supported the policy. The membership status of the recipients will be verified before the award payments are sent.

The EC supported (by a vote of 9-0-0) the Publication Committee’s proposal that Editors of the Society’s journals and consortium journal submit one annual, end-of-the year report, submitted in time for Publication Committee review and for inclusion in the Winter EC meeting Agenda Book. The EC also supported the Publication Committee’s proposal for greater standardization of the Editor reports (with the format determined by the Publication Committee). The Publication Committee will report this change and any recommended change in the report format to the Editors.

Diane discussed the rationale behind the updated guidelines for Editorial compensation that were described in the Addendum (p. 3) to the Agenda Book (p. 90). The proposal, with a change in support for start-up costs (reimbursed receipted expenses), was approved by the EC with a vote of 10-0-0. The Publication Committee will use these guidelines in their negotiations with the candidates for Editor of PSPR. In addition, Letters of Agreement (LOA) will be used for Editorial positions. Editors will have brief LOAs for all Associate Editors. The Executive Office and Susie Schroeder will need copies of all LOAs for stipend payment processing.

Diane reviewed the Publication Committee’s deliberations about the proposed new journal, ‘Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology’ (CRSP). She noted that there was not consensus for support in the Committee. After full discussion, the EC did not support the proposal to endorse participation in a consortium with EASP to sponsor CRSP. Jack Dovidio will communicate the decision to EASP.

The EC supported the slate of people (with the two additions) nominated to be a new member of the Publication Committee. Diane was asked to explain to the Committee why additional names were suggested by the EC for their full consideration of the alternatives.

Diane also suggested that up to two scholars be added as ad hoc members of the Committee to help review the papers eligible for the Student Publication Award. These ad hoc members will be selected by the Publication Committee to more broadly represent the diverse perspective in personality and social psychology for review of the articles. The Publication Committee will inform the Executive Office annually of the selection of the ad hoc reviewers for the Student Publication Award. The EC offered its support for this proposal.

 

The session of the SPSP, Inc. Executive Committee was adjourned at 10:19AM.

The session of the SPSP, Inc. Executive Committee was reconvened at 10:51AM.

 

SISPP Committee

Sam Gosling discussed the efforts people invested in SISPP at UC-Davis. He explained that the SISPP was taking place at the same time as the EC meeting, so it was not possible to evaluate it at this time.

Jack Dovidio mentioned that although 80 students may be accepted for SISPP, there is normally a "melt,” leaving fewer students actually attending. Jack suggested instructing local organizers to maintain a waiting list and/or accept slightly more than 80 to allow the maximum number of students to benefit from SISPP.

In addition, the policy, as previously formulated by the SISPP Committee, that SISPP attendees must be members of SPSP, except for the five European students from EASP, was confirmed. And it was also recommended to make sure that students are aware of the scholarships awards and that a scholarship request does not affect their likelihood of their acceptance. Eli Finkel (current SISPP member) stated that he would bring these issues back to the SISPP Committee. The SISPP Committee will also, as it regularly does, evaluate the success of SISPP with a survey of the attendees.

The slate of nominees for a new member of the SISPP Committee (as amended by Sam Gosling) was approved in the general vote.

Publication and Research Practices Task Force

David Funder explained that the Task Force considered issues that "cut across different disciplines” and SPSP is being recognized for leading the way. He observed that, although cases of academic fraud were the catalyzing event, the issues considered by the Task Force were not primarily about "fraud issues.” He did report, however, about Carolyn Morf’s extensive efforts to contact co-authors of papers with scholars who have been identified as engaging in data fraud to determine the validity of various articles published in SPSP journals. Because it appears to not be possible to flag articles about retractions due to data fraud directly in PsychInfo, the Task Force prepared a manuscript that lists articles by Sanna, Smeesters, and Stapel that have been retracted as well as non-retracted articles in SPSP journals that "range from data confirmed as legitimate by co-authors to, in many cases, being unknown as to their legitimacy.” The EC voted (10-0-0) to authorize publication of that article, which was also cleared by Sage’s legal counsel.

The members present at the EC meeting offered suggestions for increasing the likelihood that the article would be retrieved in an electronic search that also retrieves the retracted or non-retracted papers. One suggestion was to expand the keyword list for the Task Force’s article that includes the authors’ names and all of the keywords on the articles in question. Another suggestion was to include all of the articles in question in the reference list of the Task Force’s article.

There was preliminary, energetic discussion of the proposed (a) changes in ‘Instructions to Authors’ and the explanatory article, (b) SPSP Data Sharing Policy, and (c) other recommendations by the Task Force to the Executive Committee. David reported that the PSPB and PSPR Editors were "by and large” supportive of these changes in policy. Although support for each of these points was voiced by a number of members present, a number of specific issues of concern were raised. Questions were raised about the possible impact on submissions to SPSP journals and the context and climate of individuals looking to expose researchers for improper practices rather than learning more about the topic scientifically. The Publication Committee will monitor the submission rate and assess Editors’ responses. If the members of the Publication Committee believe it is appropriate, they may ask the EC to reconsider and revise the Instructions to Authors. The EC decided to suspend formal deliberations on these issues to give members more time to reflect on them overnight.

The SPSP, Inc. session was adjourned at 12:05 PM

The SPSP, Inc. meeting reconvened at 1:10 PM in Executive Session.

 

FPSP

David Funder reviewed recent developments in the Foundation and initiatives proposed by Harry Reis, the new president of the Foundation. David mentioned that the Foundation was not interested in being incorporated within SPSP at this time and instead preferred a 2-year trial period. Harry indicated that if the Foundation could not demonstrate the Foundation’s effectiveness and reach realistic fund-raising objectives during that period, he would strongly reconsider the possibility of incorporating FPSP in SPSP. SPSP will not contribute the funds to the Foundation that it has been donating during this 2-year period.

While FPSP by-laws allow the Foundation to raise funds for other organizations, the current President of FPSP, Harry Reis, has indicated to the Society that FPSP has "no plans, short-term or long-term, to do so." The EC expressed the esteem it has for Harry and other members of the Foundation Board.

While the preference expressed by many EC members was that the Foundation be part of SPSP governance (e.g., a fund-raising committee of the Society), the Society would be cooperative during the 2-year period (through December 31, 2014) proposed by Harry and ask the Foundation to give high priority to fundraising for the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). At the same time, however, SPSP will also engage in fundraising activities that will not conflict with the Foundation’s efforts. One initiative would be to have Jamie Pennebaker, who is close to the family of Dan Wegner, contact his family to assess their wishes for efforts to raise funds to memorialize Dan, either through SPSP fundraising or a coordinated effort with FPSP. One such possibility would be to name the Theoretical Innovation Prize after Dan and raise funds to endow it. The EC voted 10-0-0 to support these steps to raise funds to honor Dan Wegner.

Another SPSP initiative would be to honor "living luminaries” in the field in ways related to the SPSP conference (e.g., waived registration, a symposium involving reflections on the discipline, which could be archived). Wendi Gardner strongly recommended developing ideas and a full proposal for possible implementation at the 2015 convention, rather than have the first "honoring” process be rushed for the 2014 convention. The EC voted 10-0-0 to establish a Living Luminaries Task Force, composed of Trish Devine (Chair), Shelly Gable, and Michael Zárate. The Task Force will report to the EC at the next meeting.

To facilitate coordination, communication, and cooperation during the 2-year trial period, Harry Reis will be invited to EC meetings to represent the Foundation. Harry also asked the Society for names of two people to serve on the Board of the Foundation. The Society proposed three names of current EC members, from which the Foundation might choose two: Jennifer Beer, Trish Devine, and Shelly Gable. These names were subsequently communicated to Harry by Jamie Pennebaker. As it originally requested in January 2012, SPSP affirmed that it would like FPSP to raise funds for the Distinguished Scholar Award.

 

FABBS Report

Trish Devine indicated that she had no additional information to add beyond the written report.

Vote for 2013 Award Recipient Nominees

The EC voted for award candidates proposed by the Award Nomination Panels (ANP) as 2013 award recipients, 10-0-0. Electronic votes will be needed later for the two paper prizes, the Theoretical Innovation Prize and the Cialdini Award, which have later deadlines. Jack Dovidio will contact the ANP chairs to ask them to inform the recipients.

 

APA Awards

Jack Dovidio noted that SPSP does not have an effective mechanism for identifying or promoting SPSP members for APA awards. The EC felt that this is not a high priority for the Society; no action was taken at this time.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:25pm

Note: The Executive Office Restructure Task Force met 3:00-5:30pm with Nanette Blandin of the Isaacson-Miller search firm, to review the Executive Director applications.

 

Friday, July 19, 2013

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Zárate; (Wood absent)

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

The meeting was convened at 8:35 AM.

 

Executive Director Search Update

David Funder reported that the Executive Director search was going "better than expected.” If the Task Force feels that there are candidates who are sufficiently qualified and exciting, Jack Dovidio will schedule a conference call soon after the interviews to discuss the recommendations with the EC and have an EC vote to offer the Executive Director position to the appropriate candidate(s).

 

Publications and Research Practices Task Force (continued)

David Funder reviewed the discussions on Thursday and noted that he recommended funding to support a meeting of the Publications and Research Practices Task Force meeting in 2014, if needed. A subsequent budget vote by the EC supported this proposal Task Force meeting and the Task Force was extended through December 31, 2014.

David focused the discussion on the particular proposal of the Task Force. Based on the prior discussion, the EC endorsed (in a vote of 10-0-0) the article on retractions, with the suggested changes including expanded keywords and all relevant articles listed in the reference section.

Concerning the proposed policy on data sharing, EC members had an extensive debate, raising questions about the feasibility or advisability of sharing certain sets of data and expressing concerns about reinforcing "a growing culture of policing.” It was, however, noted that the proposed SPSP data sharing policy was similar to the APA policy, but with what the Task Force believed was better and more precise wording. David explained that the APA policy explicitly applies to papers published in APA journals, and implicitly applies to other journals that adopt APA publication guidelines. Adopting the proposed policy allows SPSP to "own” the policy that applies to our journals (currently PSPB and PSPR), including the ability to change it later if circumstances warrant. The EC voted to endorse the proposed data sharing policy with a vote of 6-3-1.

Concerning the proposed new Instructions to Authors for PSPB and PSPR, David noted that the Task Force accepted as a friendly amendment the additional wording suggested on Thursday concerning including measures in an appendix. There was further discussion about including a narrative about what materials were used but not included in the appendix, but the EC did not decide to include such wording in the instructions. The EC voted 9-0-1 for the revised Instructions to Authors for PSPB and PSPR to "include in an appendix the verbatim wording of all independent and dependent variable instructions, manipulations, and measures underlying all findings reported in the paper. If the article is published, the appendix will be made available on-line.”

EC members expressed confusion about what was required by the proposal about statistical power: "describe and address choice of N and consequent issues of power.” It was noted that power analyses are not available for some statistical tests. Statements about power considerations that appear in NSF guidelines represent a concrete example, but that is not clear from the wording of the proposal and readers may not be familiar with that process. The proposal was amended to include an additional sentence, which the Task Force may refine, that reads: "Examples of factors that may address the choice of N and consequent issues of power include desired statistical power for a given effect size, practical constraints on sample size, empirical precedent, limitations in assessments of power for certain statistical techniques, or issues uniquely relevant to the research context.” The EC voted 9-0-1 to support the proposal as amended.

Two additional votes related to the changes in policy for manuscripts submitted to SPSP journals supported the proposals: (a) that there be a hot link to the explanatory article that provides a context for the requirements and further description of the intent of each point (9-0-1); and (b) that the Publication Committee monitor the effects of these changes on submissions to the journal, the responses of people who submit or consider submitting to the journal, and the views of the Editors (supported by a vote of 10-0-0). The Publication Committee will report their assessment at the EC Winter Meetings in 2014 and 2015.

The EC voted (9-0-1) to endorse the explanatory article accompanying the change in submission guidelines, subject to final revision and editing by the Task Force.

Although not specifically endorsing the content of specific recommendations by the Task Force, the EC supported that the Task Force communicate the additional issues for future consideration to the appropriate SPSP committees (9-0-1).

 

Coordinating Committees

The purpose of Coordinating Committees, which were initiated in 2011 by President Jenny Crocker, was reviewed. It was also noted that the effectiveness of this structure needs to be considered as the bylaws are reviewed and revised. Upon consultation with the EC, David Funder appointed Toni Schmader to the Knowledge Dissemination Coordinating Committee and Sanjay Srivastava to the Professional Development Coordinating Committee. David Funder will contact Toni and Sanjay about their assignments.

 

EC Nominations Procedures

The EC discussed the importance of adhering to the presidents’ policy of presenting a slate to nominate Executive Committee candidates for election for full consideration and formal vote without undue influence from the Executive Office. The current Executive Officer reminded the EC of the EC’s responsibility in this process.

 

Budget Votes

The EC voted 9-0-0 for the revised 2013 Budget.

The EC voted 9-0-0 for the proposed 2014 Budget, as amended at the meeting.

 

Final Remarks

David Funder expressed his deep appreciation to the EC members for their hard work, not only at the EC meeting but also in their broader responsibilities, and particularly to Wendi Gardner and Sam Gosling for whom this was their last meeting as Members-at-Large; to the Executive Office (Linda Dovidio and Jack Dovidio) for the preparation of materials and logistical support for the meeting, as well as their diligence throughout the year; and to the outstanding work of Trish Devine, who provided steady and inspirational leadership during a tumultuous period. He reminded all current EC members that they continue to serve the Society through December 31, 2013.

The members of the EC thanked David for his skillful management of the meeting and his effectiveness as President at a critical time for the field and the Society.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 AM.