You are here

SPSP EC Meeting Notes Summer 2012

SPSP Meeting Notes, August 5-6, 2012, Orlando

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Biernat, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Heatherton, Larsen, Pietromonaco, Vescio

Committee Chairs, Members: Conway, Dunning, Ferguson, Mendoza-Denton, Morf, Munoz, Payne, Pickett, Plant, Sinclair,

Invited Guests: Breckler, Kelly

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Susie Schroeder

 

Meeting was convened at 8:40 am.

 

Introductions, Agenda, and Minutes: 

Trish Devine welcomed those attending the Executive Committee (EC) meeting and thanked committee chairs for their hard work over the year and the EC members (Heatherton, Biernat, and Larsen) who would be completing their terms at the end of 2012. She announced the names of the newly elected incoming EC members: Pennebaker (President-Elect), Wood (Secretary-Treasurer), and Zarate (Member-at-Large). She asked those in attendance to introduce themselves, and then she reviewed voting procedures. Devine asked that committees and members review the list of the Tasks Generated (included in the Agenda Book) from the previous EC meeting and complete any unfinished tasks as soon as possible. The Meeting Minutes from the winter 2012 Executive Committee Meeting were unanimously approved without amendment, 11 pro/0con/0 abstentions.

 

President’s Report: 

Trish Devine highlighted several key issues for the meeting.

She led a discussion of the structure of the summer EC meeting and recommended that it be expanded to 2.5 days to allow for deeper discussion of issues and long-range planning. The additional expenses that will be incurred were acknowledged. There was strong support for this proposal. The summer EC meeting is scheduled for July 17-19, 2013 in Chicago. Committee chairs will attend the meeting on July 17th, a social dinner that evening, and participate in the morning session of the July 18th meeting. The remainder of the time will be reserved for Executive Session. No vote was required for this change in EC meeting time or venue.

Trish mentioned other changes that had occurred since the winter meeting:

· SPSP is now using a new event planner FASEB (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology).

· SPSP hired its first Chief Financial Officer, Susie Schroeder, who started 4/1/12. Trish noted that it has already proved to be a wise decision.

· The current Executive Office term ends in 2014. The work has become quite time-intensive and complex. The Presidents discussed this and feel that it is an opportune time to review the Executive Office structure and needs. Devine is creating an Executive Office Restructure Assessment Task Force. By the winter meeting, she would like an assessment of what the different positions and structure might look like in order to hire staff in sufficient time for overlap and a smooth transition.

· The Presidential Address at the APA convention is optional and not funded by SPSP. However, a President can use the Presidential Discretionary fund for travel reimbursement to present at APA.

 

Executive Officer’s Report: 

Jack Dovidio reviewed the activities of the Executive Office. He noted that the Presidents and Secretary-Treasurer reviewed the compensation for Lisa Munoz (PIO) and supported an increase from 70 to 80 dollars per hour beginning with her next annual contract. This proposal was subsequently supported as part of the Executive Committee’s (EC’s) vote for the 2013 budget, 11-0-0.

Jack noted that the 2013 SPSP Convention (1/17-1/19), and thus the EC Meeting (1/20-1/21), is earlier than usual. He corrected the information in his written report, indicating the Committee Reports and other materials for the EC agenda will be due by December 15th to allow time to prepare and distribute the agenda book.

 

Chief Financial Officer’s Report:

Susie Schroeder reviewed her activities since being hired and highlighted some of the initiatives, described in her written report, that will be a priority in coming months. Susie noted that she had reviewed the financial documentation from TME and was satisfied with the accounting. She outlined specific plans for reallocating and investing SPSP, Inc. funds, and she described how HSBC (the bank that previously held all SPSP, Inc. funds) sold out to First Niagara Bank and Key Bank, requiring SPSP, Inc. to open new accounts.

Susie reported that 2011 tax return was sent out. She also explained how the travel reimbursement process had been updated and warned that, with the using an online payment process, checks not cashed within 90 days would automatically be voided by the bank.

 

Secretary-Treasurer’s Report: 

Jack Dovidio provided this report on behalf of the Secretary-Treasurer. Jack noted the substantial decline in membership, as indicated in the Membership Report in the agenda book. He mentioned that last year he cautioned the Society not to expect continued membership increases because of the current job market and limits in graduate student funding. Other factors that could account for the decline include differences in membership accounting in the transition of Executive Officers and members’ lack of familiarity with the membership function of the new webpage. Jack further noted, though, that he suspected that the decline may be attributable to the decision made at the last EC Meeting to not require people to be members in order to submit posters and symposia. The requirement to be a member was an effective reminder of continuing members to pay their dues, but it meant that nonmembers who wanted to submit to the convention program were asked to join in the summer and then again, for the next year, in September. The members present at the meeting agreed that the goodwill earned by not requiring people to be members to submit posters and symposia outweighed an loss of dues income and the current membership figure probably better reflects the "true,” committed membership. It was recommended, however, that the website better communicate that those who join part-way through the year are entitled to the full benefits of membership, including back issues of the journals.

It was noted that the number of SPSP members who report also being in Division 8 continues in study decline. The decline this year is comparable to the decline in SPSP, Inc. membership and the decline in APA membership. Members present discussed the relationship between SPSP and APA. It was noted that the advocacy that APA provides is particularly valuable given recent events in the field.

 

Guests: 

Steve Breckler and Heather Kelly were invited guests to the EC Meeting. Steve noted that APA is a "hard-sell” to individual SPSP members: The journal discount and the opportunity to give convention presentations are no longer strong incentives to join APA. He noted that the size of the membership in Division 8 is relevant in the number of APA Council Representatives that SPSP has, but that recruiting more Division 8 members was less critical than organizational cooperation and support between SPSP, Inc. and APA. Steve highlighted the important advocacy role that APA plays, and Heather discussed the opportunities provided by APA in governmental relations. Heather would like to help sell APA membership to young people: "We need APA members who can go meet with members of Congress to influence policy setting. APA membership adds credibility and that is the pool from which people will be chosen.” Heather further stated that APA is the only organization that is in touch with Congressional actions that might reduce funding of research.

After these visitors left, the members present considered various ways of supporting APA's advocacy efforts. David Dunning suggested that an interview with Heather Kelly might be a valuable resource for members on the web. Those in attendance agreed. The idea of cooperating with other divisions of APA and other organizations to support advocacy for behavioral science was considered. Additional discussion focused on the value of creating a task force to consider this issue further. Although a task force was not formed at this meeting, such action may be pursued in the future.

 

Program Committee: 

Melissa Ferguson described the Program Co-Chairs' experiences with FASEB as involving several glitches, but with FASEB being responsive. She reported that both symposia and poster submissions increased this year. Because of the additional demand on symposium reviewers, she requested that the Symposium Review Panel be increased by two members to support the 2014 convention. Budgetary implications were considered. When the EC voted on the budget, this request was unanimously approved. The Program Committee Co-Chairs are thus authorized to recruit two additional members for the 2014 convention’s Symposium Review Panel.

There was discussion about miscommunication issues related to plenary speakers. While the EC indicated that there can be ongoing discussion about having plenary speakers longer-term, as well as about the more general question of the latitude that Program Co-Chairs should be allowed, it was decided that the Program Committee would not schedule plenary speakers for the 2013 and 2014 SPSP conventions. Melissa encouraged the EC to continue to consider having plenary speakers after 2014. It was also agreed that it would be valuable to survey members' responses to various aspects of the convention program after conferences.

There was a discussion of how the conference program can address controversy associated with recent events about fabrication and unethical manipulation of data. Melissa mentioned that two submitted symposia focus on this topic; they will be reviewed under the normal procedures. The idea of a Society-sponsored symposium, communicating SPSP's concern about and leadership on this topic, was considered. Additional discussion in Executive Session generated further enthusiasm for this idea. Trish agreed to contact the Program Co-Chairs to explain that the EC would like to have such a Society-sponsored symposium if there was not enough coverage of the issues in invited symposia and to discuss ways of featuring this event prominently at the conference.

 

Convention Committee: 

Cindy Pickett noted that the room block for New Orleans was likely too large and explained the hotel registration discount (previously approved by the EC in an email vote) has been instituted as an incentive for attendees to stay in conference hotels.

Members will again be allowed to choose between box lunches and drink tickets, and efforts are being made to increase the number of events where drink tickets may be used.

Cindy thanked the GSC for the feedback about the mobile app for the program that was used last year. A recommendation was presented to not use Grupio again and instead switch to the company that FASEB works closely with, CrowdCompass.

The Convention Committee also stated that it preferred to use the publishing company that works with FASEB to produce the printed program book. It was noted that the Convention Committee could defer some of this expense with advertising revenue; advertising has regularly appeared in SPSP program books. The budget associated with these Committee preferences will be considered as part of the Convention budget that will be reviewed and voted on by the EC as soon as it is available. The members present supported the idea of soliciting sponsors for various activities and services (e.g., Internet access at the convention center) as well as allowing appropriate exhibitors to have demonstration in convention rooms during the lunch break. David Dunning mentioned that SPSP already had a policy about appropriate sponsorship, most likely in the minutes of the meeting in Palm Springs. The EC also agreed that the Society should be more supportive and flexible in its policies for exhibitors.

In response to Cindy’s questions, the EC indicated the rotation of convention cites in East, Central, and Western United States should be balanced over time, but that the Convention Committee did not have to be constrained by a rigid sequence each year.

Keith Payne reported that FASEB's deadlines for program book materials will not make it possible to list the Graduate Student Travel Award recipients in the program book. Several alternative ways of publicizing recipients were proposed, including display boards and PowerPoint presentations at appropriate locations and preceding the Presidential Symposium.

The Convention Committee further emphasized, in the context of any restructuring of the Executive Office, the value of having a staff member responsible for many of the routine annual conference responsibilities now assumed by the Committee.

 

Event Planning Liaison: 

Wendi Gardner explained that, partly because of the short time-line for the transition and partly because of communication issues, the transition in event planners has been more challenging than anticipated. She mentioned that SPSP and FASEB frequently have different expectations, but that there are efforts from both parties to improve communication Wendi cautioned that we should not prematurely evaluate our relationship with FASEB based on the unusual circumstances of this year and encouraged SPSP to be flexible this year (such as using vendors, such as CrowdCompass (instead of Grupio) with which FASEB was familiar. She suggested that the recruitment of more sponsors can offset any additional costs.

Wendi commented that FASEB had not yet presented a conference budget, but the EC would have the opportunity to vote on it when it was available.

 

Diversity and Climate Committee:

Rudy Mendoza-Denton asked the Society to review the questions it currently asks about demographic and diversity-related information. The DCC was particularly concerned about the meaning and appropriateness of the questions for European members. David Funder also offered insights about the complexity of the issue from his recent European conference. It was noted that the current questions were developed by the DCC and that the DCC can recommend revisions. However, the DCC was urged to consider the issue of continuity of data in their deliberations and recommendations and to allow people the options to indicate multiple identities. The DCC has subsequently decided to conduct a review to produce recommendations for changes for the 2014 Dues Statement.

 

Graduate Student Committee: 

Paul Conway remarked that the GSC replaced one member of the Committee and now has a uniformly "great team." The GSC had evaluated its activities and initiatives from the last convention.

The Mentor Lunch continued to be one of the successful activities, but the location at the last conference was too far from where the bag lunches were distributed. It was suggested that lunches be brought in advance to the Mentor Lunch location, and the Convention Committee agreed to pursue this arrangement.

He mentioned that the GSC members assisted with the submissions for the 2013 convention by proofreading and commenting on drafts of posters submitted to them to support submitters who were not native-English speakers. He commented that fewer 20 such proposals were received. Those present commended the GSC for its effort, noting that the number of people utilizing this service will likely increase over time.

Paul explained that the budget increase request for the GSC social event was because of the increasing popularity of the event; last year almost 200 people were turned away because attendance reached the limited size of the venue. There was discussion of whether and how the event qualifies as a convention activity, the issues of safety, and the liability of the Society if the event encouraged excess drinking. It was agreed that providing students with a drink ticket as an incentive to attend was reasonable, but the EC felt that making reduced drink prices part of the negotiations on behalf of the Society was not. Paul agreed to eliminate that part of the negotiated deal between the Society and the establishment, which may bring the cost of the event for the Society down. The EC approved the original amount of support requested for this event, but this amount may be adjusted to a lower figure when Paul reports the results of the re-negotiation to the Executive Officer.

Paul also explained how the Speed Research "Data-ing" was a valuable opportunity for students and indicated his willingness to develop a title that effectively conveyed the scholarly nature of the activity. The EC voted to support the GSC's budget requests when it voted on the 2013 budget.

 

Training Committee: 

Stacey Sinclair described the joint Training Committee-GSC preconference.

She then described the proposal for a Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP), which the EC requested that the Committee develop. There was discussion about aspects of the proposal, such as whether students would participate in cohort groups or individually and about the role of graduate students. It was suggested that students who participated in the program have an opportunity to display posters of their projects at the SPSP conference or on our website. The EC generally expressed support for the program, but asked for further details on the application procedure, criteria for selecting students, the consideration of a mentor-student contract, evaluation of the program, and plan for a long-term structure to support and oversee the program. They also suggested having it every other summer, alternating with SISPP. The EC voted 11-0-0 to support the proposal in principle, but with the understanding that it would not be implemented until 2014, and then with a more limited pilot program. It was further noted that this program might be a good candidate for donor or sponsor support, and suggested that this program be considered as a priority for FPSP. The EC commended the Training Committee for their hard and creative work on the proposal.

 

Knowledge Dissemination Coordinating Committee:

Monica Biernat reminded the EC that Chuck Stangor has agreed to serve as Dialogue Editor. The EC agreed that it would be valuable for Chuck to attend the winter 2013 EC meeting (as a guest on Sunday, not to report on the meeting for Dialogue).

Monica introduced an alternative proposal (as a handout) to the Web proposal in the agenda book about assigning web integration and initiative responsibilities to the Publication Committee. There were concerns that the demands of these added responsibilities and searches would be too much for the Publication Committee. Questions about the need for a Web Committee and the member expertise sought were debated. A proposal emerged to establish a 3-year Task Force on Web Development, Integration, and Initiative to provide leadership and vision to SPSP web initiatives, operate as a liaison between the EC and the Web Editors, and search for and nominate a new Web Editor or Editors. The President, in consultation with other EC members and Committee Chairs, will develop the charge of this Task Force and appoint members as soon as possible because of the upcoming Web Editor search. This Task Force was subsequently supported by a vote in Executive Session. It was further proposed thatDialogue be returned to the portfolio of the Publication Committee. This proposal was supported in Executive Session on Monday by a vote of 11-0-0.

 

The SPSP meeting was adjourned at 2:50 pm and was reconvened at 3:15 pm.

 

Website Development: 

David Dunning highlighted the important points in the Web Editors' report. He noted that the Website was being widely used by members and described aspects of the functionality of the site that are now operational. He noted that there have been some technical challenges but that the implantation has gone well overall. He pointed out that the Web Editors will be encouraging greater use of the "groups" function and that they will be seeking more submissions for SPSPConnect.

Dave introduced the idea that the website could be used to handle registration and collect registration fees for preconferences. However, it was noted that, despite many positive aspects of this idea, there was not sufficient staff within the Executive Office at the present time to devote the needed staff time to support such an effort.

David reported that Don Forsyth has asked to step down from his position as one of the Web Editors at the end of 2013, but that he (David) would be willing to stay on a bit longer (through 2014), as needed.

 

Publication Committee:

Carolyn Morf reported on the three nominated papers, identified in the Publication Committee Report, for the Student Publication Award. The EC supported these nominations, 10-0-0 (one person absent at the time of the vote).

Carolyn reported on the discussion within the Publication Committee about the title for Lee Fabrigar. She described how the responsibilities Lee will assume involve major editorial functions, and thus merited greater status than the title of Senior Associate Editor conveys. She proposed, on behalf of the Publication Committee that Lee be given the title of Co-Editor. This vote passed, 11-0-0

Carolyn noted that while submissions were strong for PSPB, the impact factor and corresponding rank dropped. The EC agreed that this drop in impact should be monitored closely by the Publication Committee. The possibility of increasing the triage rate to reduce demands on action editors could be considered for PSPB.

The timetable for the new PSPR Editor was noted and the EC supported the option, which has precedent, of offering a 2-year extension to the current PSPR Editor. The Publication Committee will bring a recommendation to the EC by the January 2013 meeting.

 

Public Information Office: 

Lisa Munoz reviewed the PIO Report, discussing the impact that press releases and other forms of contact with the media and the public have had. She noted that she is organizing a workshop at the annual meeting of the National Association of Science Writers this year that will feature an SPSP member and a reporter who covers the field.

She is also organizing a work session at the 2013 SPSP meeting to help SPSP members interact more effectively with the media. In her report, she included a request to reimburse other media professionals for travel-related expenses (conforming to normal SPSP travel guidelines) who will speak at this session. This budget request was approved by the EC in executive session as part of the vote to approve the 2013 SPSP, Inc. budget.

She is planning to offer a media training workshop at the 2014 SPSP convention.

Lisa also discussed the challenges for the field of having titles of articles that appeal to a wide audience, but are not "fluffy or cutsie” in ways that diminish the reputation of the field. There was also discussion of the kinds of additional services Lisa could provide if she were employed for more hours, which could enhance advocacy and increase the number and quality of op-ed pieces by SPSP members.

 

Foundation for Personality and Social Psychology: Because David Dunning, who is the current President of FPSP, was present at the EC Meeting as Web Editor, he was asked to discuss the activities of FPSP, as well. Dave distributed an FPSP report at the meeting. Dave mentioned that Harry Reis will be taking over as the President of the Foundation in January. He reported that FPSP now has $75,000 in unrestricted funds and that there was a high probability of a $10,000 donation, possibly to support SPSP service awards.

In addition, he described recent efforts, including an initiative by Trish Devine, are attracting new donations for the Heritage Fund. Dave described the goal of maintaining diversity in the Wall of Fame and noted that this diversity includes opportunities to honor living eminent psychologists as well as those being memorialized. He emphasized the value of SPSP having a link on its website to enable people to donate to the Foundation. He also discussed alternative strategies of either waiting until a fund is fully endowed before drawing on it for a specified use or having a "rolling endowment,” from which funds are drawn while fundraising is still active. Dave said that the Foundation currently favors the rolling endowment option.

There was discussion about the possibility of the Foundation hiring a professional fund-raiser, preferably someone who has had experience as a university development officer, for 5-10 hours per week. The EC considered the possibility of SPSP providing some bridge funding and invited a proposal from FPSP by December 15, 2012. The EC also encouraged FPSP to have at least two members of its FPSP Board be individuals concurrently serving on the SPSP Executive Committee.

 

Task Force on Responsible Conduct in Research: 

Todd Heatherton reviewed the history of the Task Force and its activities and accomplishments. He also discussed the position that SPSP adopted and indicated that he believed that SPSP has not taken enough of a visible leadership role in this area. He argued that SPSP needs to be "proactive as well as responsive.” David Funder reported on the recent conference he attended on this topic. The EC noted that the issues are complex, going well beyond fraud and including practices in data management and analyses and the publication of replications. Jennifer Beer described related controversies in neuroscience and the varied consequences it has had on the area.

There was consensus that SPSP needed to take new initiatives to address issues about responsible conduct and establish its leadership on this topic for the field. Such initiatives would include:

(a) A public statement by the President on the web for members and the public;

(b) A review by the Publication Committee of what policies (e.g., about publishing replications or archiving materials, about requiring all co-authors to review the data) might be established for SPSP publications;

(c) A special session at the 2013 SPSP Convention on this topic (independent of the two symposia currently submitted); and

(d) The establishment of a Best Practices Task Force (which was established by a vote of 11-0-0 in Executive Session).

There was general support for the idea that the Society needs to reassure its members, particularly its early career members, that many of the issues (e.g., a failure to replicate) can be scientifically informative and constructive rather than threatening. In addition, it was agreed that SPSP should be pro-active to prevent unethical practices or situations and to support continuing conversations about the causes and consequences of unethical practices. The EC also discussed the best way to disseminate the findings of the Responsible Conduct Task Force, but noting that the current summary in SPSP records does not necessarily reflect the views of all those in attendance. The President will provide guidance about how to implement these different initiatives by December 15th.

 

SISP Committee: 

Sam Gosling reported on the activities to support SISP, including a new grant proposal submitted to NSF (by Sam, Iris Mauss, and Jack Dovidio as PIs, with the assistance of David Dunning as grant administrator). The proposal for four years of support adopted the more inclusive new name of Summer Institute in Social and Personality Psychology (SISPP). The EC was reminded that it had committed the Society to support the 2013 summer program out of SPSP funds if the grant was not funded by NSF. Sam indicated that most of the courses for the 2013 SISP were already set up and that the local contacts at UC Davis are Phil Shaver * and Jeff Sherman.

*Note: A 10/30/12 update from the SISP Co-Chairs - Alison Ledgerwood and Jeff Sherman are now the local contacts.

 

SPSP meeting adjourned 5:30 pm and was reconvened at 5:50 pm.

 

FABBS (Federation of Association of Brain and Behavioral Sciences): Todd Heatherton commented that in discussions of FABBS, the distinction should be made between the FABBS Federation and the FABBSFoundation. The Federation’s major mission is advocacy, and he believed it was operating effectively. The FABBS Foundation, which has the same members on its Board as the Federation has as its officers, raises funds. Todd clarified that SPSP is only affiliated with the Federation. All three FABBS Representatives will receive support for the December 2012 meeting.

 

New Business: 

The EC agreed that it should not revisit the policy that the Society would no longer required people to be current members of SPSP to submit posters or symposium to the SPSP convention. This policy was established at the previous meeting.

 

SPSP meeting was adjourned at 6 PM.

 

Sunday evening, August 5, 2012

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Biernat, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Heatherton, Larsen, Pietromonaco, Vescio

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Susie Schroeder

The Executive Committee meeting was reconvened in Executive Session at 7:30 PM.

 

Murray Award: 

The history of the Murray Award, which was established in the late 1970s with a gift of $10,000 to Division 8, was reviewed. The sentiment of the EC was that, given the particular focus of the award specified with the original gift, the Murray Award selection process and Murray Fund would be better placed in the Society for Personology. David Funder was asked to contact Dan McAdams with a proposal to transfer $10,000 to the Society for Personology and have that organization assume all responsibility for selecting recipients and administering the award. If the Society for Personology agrees, SPSP will no longer actively seek donations for the award on the website or in the dues statement. The EC also noted that the Murray Award recipient would be allowed to give the address at APA in 2013, but that each Society should separately discuss the appropriate venue for the address in the future. SPSP will discuss the issue of the Murray Award Address in the larger context of ideas about the future of the Division 8 Program at APA.

 

Executive Office Structure: 

There was a brief discussion of how the Executive Office could be restructured to provide appropriate financial and administrative management for the Society and perhaps be expanded to absorb some of the tasks currently performed by the Convention Committee, and other convention related committees. The EC postponed full consideration of this issue for the Monday morning session.

 

Financial Planning: 

Susie Schroeder reviewed a plan for reallocating current SPSP funds to create a more balanced portfolio consisting of liquid assets, accounts distributed in ways that are FDIC insured (the current limit is $250,000 per holder in a given bank), and low-risk investments. The EC supported the plan and asked the CFO and Executive Officer, in consultation with the Presidents and Secretary-Treasurer, to begin to implement the proposal for a three-tier structure for financial management.

 

Service Awards: 

Todd Heatherton noted that in 2011 the SPSP Service Awards were selected and approved a year in advance of other 2012 awards. The 2013 Service Awards were also nominated early (in late spring 2012) and will be presented for EC approval at the current Summer Meeting. Todd recommended that the EC bring the timing of the nomination of SPSP Service Awards back into alignment with the standardized schedule of other awards. A specific proposal that next year’s Awards Committee not make nominations for 2014 Service Awards was supported by consent of the EC.

 

The Sunday evening EC session adjourned at 8:50 PM.

 

Monday, August 6, 2012

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Biernat, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Heatherton, Larsen, Pietromonaco, Vescio

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Susie Schroeder

The meeting was convened at 8:30 AM.

 

Murray Award (cont.): 

After brief discussion, the EC voted 11-0-0 to approve the transfer of $10,000 and the administration of the Murray Award to the Society of Personology, if the Society for Personology agreed to accept the terms proposed by SPSP.

The EC voted to remove the solicitation of funds for the Murray Award from the dues statement and web page, 11-0-0.

 

Award Panel Nominations: 

It was noted that the Award Nomination Panels, which consist of over 32 members, would benefit from more continuity. In addition, re-populating each Panel entirely requires considerable time and effort. Todd Heatherton suggested that efforts be made to include at least one member on each Panel who serves a 2-year them. It was agreed that the Awards Committee would strive to accomplish this; no formal vote was taken.

The slate of nominees for Award Nomination Panels, including potential alternatives, was reviewed and discussed. The original slate, with two names removed after EC discussion, was approved by a vote of 11-0-0.

 

Web Oversight and Coordination: 

The EC considered alternative governance structures for oversight of SPSP web initiatives and activities, including the search for Web Editors. While assigning these responsibilities to the Publications Committee had several positive aspects, it was decided that the Publications Committee already had several demanding responsibilities. Adding these additional duties to the Publications would likely compromise the Committee’s effectiveness. As an alternative, the EC recommended that a 3-year task force be formed to coordinate and oversee SPSP web activities and be charged with conducting the search for new web editors at appropriate times. The EC would then assess whether a new standing Committee would be established or other mechanisms developed for these responsibilities in the future. The EC voted to establish a Web Task Force, 11-0-0.

The EC voted to move Dialogue from the responsibility of the Web Editors back to the portfolio of the Publications Committee, 11-0-0.

 

Foundation for Personality and Social Psychology (FPSP)

Several members of the EC commented that the Foundation has attracted only limited new funds over the past two years and has not made progress on fund-raising for the projects identified by SPSP. It was noted that if SPSP had directed the funds it has given annually to FPSP to an award fund instead, there would be a good start for an award endowment. The EC discussed being even more concrete in its requests to FPSP and to set a timetable for achieving these expectations. Trish Devine was charged with requesting a proposal from FPSP regarding hiring a part-time fundraiser for a limited period. The Foundation should also be encouraged to have more current EC members on the FPSP Board of Directors. Trish was also asked to contact Harry Reis, the incoming President of the Foundation, to establish a closer working relationship between the organizations.

Investment: The EC voted, 11-0-0, to approve the proposal for the three-tier structure for the SPSP Financial Asset Management plan.

 

Summer EC Meeting: 

The EC considered the opportunity that a Summer EC Meeting separate from the APA convention has the potential to offer fuller discussion of issues and longer-term planning. To help make the summer meeting more productive and more fully integrate committee chairs into the governance process, the EC voted to extend the summer EC Meeting to 1.5 days for all attendees with a socially-oriented dinner (including committee chairs, invited committee members, and guests to the EC meeting) on the evening of the first day of meetings. All committee chairs and invited committee members will participate in the EC meeting through the morning of the second day. The EC will begin Executive Session on the afternoon of the second day through the morning of the third day. The vote was 11-0-0 to approve this format for Summer EC Meetings. Budgetary implications were acknowledged. The 2013 summer meeting will be in Chicago July 17, 18, and 19th.

 

Budget: 

The EC voted to approve the 2013 Proposed SPSP, Inc. Budget by a vote of 11-0-0 with two modifications. Because implementation of the Summer Undergraduate Research Program was postponed, the expense associated with it was removed from the budget. Also, funds were added to support the activities of the Executive Office Task Force and the continuation of the Responsible Conduct Task Force.

 

The session was adjourned at 10:09 AM.

The meeting was reconvened at 10:32 AM.

 

Media Award: 

Sam Gosling reviewed the changes that the Media Award Nomination Panel recommended. It was suggested that the Society would work to publicize the awards more, with Lisa Munoz, as PIO, alerting members when the Media Award submission period begins. Electronic versions of submissions, including books, should be encouraged.

 

Responsible Conduct:

It was agreed that the activities of the Society should be more visible to members. It was reported that some SPSP members felt that the Society was not taking enough of a leadership role in this area. Trish Devine agreed to write a letter to the membership describing what the Society has done and will do in this area. The EC also supported the idea of sponsoring an event at the SPSP conference involving the leadership of the Society to consider some element of the issue. The EC also supported the proposal to post the report of the Responsible Conduct Task Force, with the disclaimer that all of the participants in the Task Force meeting did not endorse the document. It was further noted that SPSP has no formal process for removing members from the Society. The EC asked the Executive Officer to recommend a policy/mechanism at a future meeting. Trish Devine agreed to reconstitute the Responsible Conduct Task Force as a Best Practices Working Group, and to update its charge.

 

Fellows Committee: 

The Fellows Committee report was reviewed and discussed The EC commended the Fellows Committee for bringing forward the slate. All nominations were unanimously approved.

 

Slates Presented: 

After a review of all submitted slates, the EC voted to approve (11-0-0) the new committee member nominees, and the 2012 award recipient nominees.

 

Passing of the "Gavel”: 

Trish Devine presented a creatively-made gavel to David Funder as incoming President.

The EC expressed its gratitude to Trisha Devine for her skillful leadership during her presidential term.

 

The EC Meeting was adjourned at 11:30 AM.