SPSP Board Meeting Meeting Notes from August 2014
At its semi-annual meeting held in Washington DC last week, the SPSP Board of Directors made several changes to operational and strategic policies. The following is a short list of some of those changes that came from the meeting. Full minutes will follow later this fall:
- Initiated a strategic planning process to guide the vision of SPSP over the next 5-10 years.
- Approved a motion to better align SPSP and the Foundation for Personality and Social Psychology, which will give more structure to the partnership of the two organizations and provide staff support to FPSP.
- Directed staff to make appropriate infrastructure, budget and staffing adjustments to move 2016 convention planning in-house and away from the current meeting planner. Selected Atlanta, Nashville and Portland as contenders for the 2018 and 2019 conventions.
- Doubled the amount of money eligible for each of the three student travel awards (Graduate Travel Awards, Diversity Graduate Travel Awards, and Diversity Undergraduate Travel Awards).
- Approved a change to the SPSP Bylaws. These changes will be presented to the voting membership in the coming months.
- Approved hosting a social hour for personality and social psychologists at the APS annual convention in May 2015.
- Terminated membership in FABBS effective December 31, 2015. With the infrastructure changes and growth of SPSP, a better alignment to support SPSP’s advocacy efforts will be received by being a member of COSSA.
- Approved the 2015 Budget as proposed. ($2,254,060 revenue, $2,293,788 expenses, deficit of $39,742)
- Appointed Shelly Gable to complete Wendy Wood’s term as Secretary Treasurer in 2015 as Wendy becomes President-elect.