You are here

SPSP EC Meeting Notes Winter 2013

SPSP Meeting Notes from Sunday, January 20, 2013 – New Orleans

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Wood, Zárate

Committee Chairs, Members, other Representatives: Conway, Finkel, Forsyth, Letzring, Lowery, Mendoza-Denton, Morf, Munoz, Payne, Pickett, Reis, Sinclair, Srivastava

Guests: M. Jackson, J. Kearney

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

 

The meeting convened at 8:40am

Meeting Minutes: Meeting minutes from 8/2012 were approved 11-0-0

 

President’s Report: 

David Funder welcomed the members of the Executive Committee, Committee Chairs, staff of the Executive Office, and representatives. He noted the many unprecedented challenges of the past year, and particularly of the past six months. He expressed his appreciation to all those who have served the Society so effectively, and he offered special thanks to Cindy Pickett and the Convention Committee; Sanjay Srivastava, Melissa Ferguson and the Program Committee; and Carolyn Morf and the Publication Committee. All dealt with unanticipated challenges. David also expressed his gratitude to Jenny Crocker and her Executive Office Task Force work, Sam Gosling and Iris Mauss for work on the successful NSF grant, Don Forsyth stepping in to handle membership/dues processing; Susie Schroeder for working on the missing funds and setting up multiple payment processing systems; Trish Devine for her level-headed calmness during the fall crisis; and Jack and Linda Dovidio for their efforts and support.

David identified five "big-picture” issues to be considered at the meeting and beyond:

  • Developing a new Executive Office structure
  • Pursuing the "incident” involving the misappropriation of funds
  • Evaluating the convention and transition to FASEB
  • Addressing data fraud and appointing a Task Force to look related issues
  • Considering new ways to promote our science

He reminded those present that the next 2013 Executive Committee meeting is scheduled Wednesday, July 17ththrough noon Friday the 19th in Chicago. It is our first extended summer meeting and does not immediately follow the APA convention.

Trish Devine formally thanked the Executive Office and presented Awards of Appreciation to Don Forsyth, Susie Schroeder, Linda Dovidio, and Jack Dovidio.

Jamie Pennebaker outlined some of his goals for the Society. He explained that his priorities include moving SPSP into the 21st century electronically, evaluating new publication trends, revising the business model, improving the conference app, and reconsidering our relationship with APA.

 

Executive Officer’s Report: 

The SPSP Ethics Policy on Harassment, Discrimination and Professional Misconduct was presented, discussed, and approved by a vote of 11-0-0. It will be posted on the SPSP website.

The SPN request, which was communicated through SPSP’s liaison Marti Gonzales, to have a referendum to raise SPSP dues to support SPN financially was presented. Members present at the meeting asked whether SPSP would have any input concerning SPN content if further SPSP support was provided. It was noted that SPN primarily emphasizes social psychology and devotes limited attention to personality psychology. The EC voted against the SPN proposal: 0 yes/9 no/2 abstain.

Jamie Pennebaker was asked to work with Jack Dovidio to explore alternative arrangements with Scott Plous that would meet the interests of the Society and provide appropriate support to SPN.

 

Membership Report: 

Jack Dovidio explained that the seeming increase in membership in previous years was an artifact of errors in record keeping by an employee no longer with the organization. Don has devoted considerable time and effort cleaning up and updating the database. The latest membership figures reported in the agenda book have been corrected. Membership appears to have been stable (5,500-5,700 members) over the past few years. Victoria Claas will begin a part-time position on February 1, 2013 to assist in membership duties.

The limited number of members responding to some demographic questions was noted. Don Forsyth will check whether members can answer just some demographic survey questions and still have the ability to be tallied. The DCC will also review this issue.

 

Budget and Financial Report:

Susie Schroeder explained SPSP’s financial holdings and how funds were kept available for operating expenses, reserves, and investments as laid out in the SPSP Financial Asset Management plan.

 

CFO Report: 

Susie Schroeder identified several continuing CFO activities: further developing

a system with appropriate internal controls and full transparency; transferring funds to maintain the appropriate balance in various accounts and investments; tackling day-to-day bookkeeping, management and budgeting; ensuring compliance with IRS requirements; re-evaluating our financial relationship with SPPS; and changing the administrator role for the NSF from David Dunning to her.

 

FASEB: 

Marcella Jackson and Janet Kearney, guests at the EC meeting from FASEB, reported that the final conference attendance was 3668, which is 55 more than last year. They acknowledged problems with the long lines for registration at the meeting and described changes they would make at the next conference to address this problem. They were asked whether FASEB routinely does post-conference survey evaluations and urged to survey both the attendees and representatives of SPSP who worked most directly on the convention. Wendi Gardner was asked to work with FASEB to develop the survey.

Marcella and Janet noted some AV problems, but EC members commended them for having FASEB’s tech people widely available so they could fixes glitches in a timely manner. Paul Conway commented about the mediocre quality of the box lunches, and Marcella indicated that FASEB would attend to this more closely for the next meeting. In addition, EC members emphasized that in the future, all exhibitors with badges should be allowed to attend the sessions without limitations. Marcella stated that FASEB would note and implement this policy.

While acknowledging the challenges imposed by the limited lead-time this year, several issues related to information technology were identified as requiring attention for next year. Sanjay Srivastava commented that the technology for abstracts did not fit our needs and needs correction as a priority. He explained that submitters found the portal difficult, there were problems with some submissions not being processed, reviewers found it challenging, access to Program Chairs was not easy, and full data access was not readily available to key people (such as the PIO, Program Chairs, and Convention Committee). It was recommended that some sort of submission confirmation number and tracking system be implemented next year so authors can monitor the progress of their submissions.

Don Forsyth identified problems with coordinating registration with information from the SPSP database and identified this issue as a high IT priority for FASEB in the coming year.

The EC expressed its appreciation to FASEB for its efforts with a shorter than usual time frame and conveyed a number of positive comments from members about the professional appearance of the convention and the functionality of the convention app. David Funder thanked Marcella and Janet for coming to the EC meeting and indicated that the Society, through Wendi Gardner, will stay in close touch as we assess the conference with our members.

 

Convention Committee Report: 

The EC expressed its appreciation to Cindy Pickett for her outstanding work on behalf of the Society. Cindy remarked that FASEB enforced a policy of no pictures in order to protect the proprietary nature of information on posters and PowerPoint slides for presenters. Cindy asked SPSP to re-visit this policy.

L. Munoz indicated that using a copyright symbol © at the bottom of each poster or slide no more "protects" a presenter than the inherent rights they already have as copyright holders; rather, using the symbol serves as a warning/deterrent to people who might want to infringe on the presenters' copyright (and who might not be aware that it is copyrighted).

Lisa agreed to share information about copyrights with Rudy Mendoza-Denton and Cindy, and the three will report back to the EC and Convention Committee with recommendations.

Cindy indicated that the Convention Committee will evaluate the value of services offered at the convention, such as the First-Aid Station and KiddieCorp daycare. She pointed out that although some of these services may not seem cost-effective overall, they may have great value for the members who use them. The Convention Committee will report back to the EC on this issue at the summer meeting. Cindy also noted that the pre-conferences need more and earlier help from FASEB.

Keith Payne reported that there were over 500 applications for the 80 Travel Awards handled by the Convention Committee. He indicated that there were technological problems getting the students information into the system, an issue that needs to be conveyed to FASEB (by Wendi Gardner).

Brian Lowery explained that Long Beach (CA) and Tampa were the finalists for 2015 SPSP Conference. The financial considerations for members (e.g., hotels) and the Society favored Long Beach. In addition, areas to socialize and eat were more accessible in Long Beach than in Tampa. However, EC members observed that airport access is more of a challenge in Long Beach than in Tampa. If flying into LAX, the drive to Long Beach could take hours depending on traffic. Flying into the John Wayne Airport or the Long Beach Airport could results in multiple flights, because they are smaller airports.

Brian reported that the proposed dates of the 2015 convention are February 12-15. Lisa Munoz remarked that these dates immediately follow the AAAS meeting, which most science writers attend. Lisa considered this an important issue because the press coverage at SPSP’s conference could be very limited and one of the goals of a conference is to disseminate knowledge of our science. Lisa recommended meetings in late January or early February to avoid conflicts with AAAS. Others present preferred to avoid the President’s Day (February 16) weekend, because of a number of issues involving children. The Convention Committee was also asked to check the date of the APA Council meeting, which is scheduled around that time, to avoid conflicts. Members attending the EC meeting were asked to contact Wendi Gardner with dates to avoid, while recognizing that SPSP may not be able to accommodate everyone’s needs or preferences.

The EC voted (11-0-0) that Long Beach would be the first choice, with Tampa as second choice, but the final available dates may be a factor for reconsideration.

 

FASEB Liaison Report: 

Wendi Gardner mentioned that the convention culture with FASEB is very different than that with TME (our former event planner) and talked about the challenges encountered in the transition to FASEB. She explained that a number of the challenges were clearly due to the 6-month lead time versus their usual 18 month lead time. In addition, our convention, our expectations, and some of our activities are very different than those of other organizations that FASEB handles. Wendi stated that she would be sending an email request to all SPSP people involved with the convention to outline the details of what they need from FASEB and when for the 2014 convention. She emphasized that these points need to be spelled out in "minute detail.” Don Forsyth described a number of IT malfunctions with FASEB. Wendi recommended that we should request our own FASEB IT representative to work with on convention-related issues. Wendi encouraged feedback and will take responsibility for following up with FASEB.

 

Program Committee Report:

The EC expressed its appreciation to Sanjay Srivastava and Melissa Ferguson for their outstanding work as Program Co-Chairs. Members present commented on the high quality of the conference program. Sanjay expressed his gratitude for the support he and Melissa received from the Society, and he indicated that he and Melissa had several suggestions and ideas for future programs, which they outlined in their report. He reported that only about a third of symposia submitted were accepted. One recommendation that he highlighted was to have FASEB assign confirmation numbers to Travel Award applications so that applicants can track their status.

Sanjay raised the issue of improving communication between the EC and the Program Committee. Terri Vescio also expressed a concern about "collective memory” across years for Program Co-Chairs, explaining that the EC had recommended in the past that poster sessions contain a distribution of topic areas (but with posters on the same topic in close proximity), so that members would have more opportunity to see posters on their topic of interest at various times across the conference. Terri noted that poster sessions in the current 2013 program reverted to the earlier organization of having all the posters on the same topic in a single poster session. Lisa Munoz recommended the use of a wiki for keeping track of materials and ideas for new initiatives, and records of past practices by the Program Committee.

Jack Dovidio commented that, to facilitate better communication in various ways, several structural changes had been initiated. The Program Committee was recently expanded to six members (the incoming Program Co-Chairs, the current Co-Chairs, and the Past-Co-Chairs) and that, for the first time, one of the incoming Co-Chairs (Eli Finkel) was invited to the Winter EC Meeting. Besides helping to improve communication and continuity, Jack emphasized that the Program Co-Chairs should distribute responsibilities across members, which will ease the burden on the current Co-Chairs and also offer incoming Co-Chairs valuable experience while taking advantage of the expertise of past Co-Chairs.

Sanjay requested that the Program Co-Chairs, in consultation with the other members of the Program Committee, be allowed organize two invited session (not plenary events that reduce the number of slots normally available to symposia). He discussed how these sessions would allow the Program Co-Chairs more creative input and would enhance the program. He indicated that one symposium could be dedicated to a symposium including speakers from other disciplines to address timely topics from an interdisciplinary perspective. Accordingly, Sanjay requested a budget to support the invited sessions.

The EC strongly endorsed the proposal for two invited sessions. The vote on the funds was deferred until the budget votes in Executive Session. Jack Dovidio commented that the use of funds should conform to the normal limitations for convention speakers. Invited speakers, either from the inside or outside of the SPSP community, can receive complimentary convention registration. However, speakers within the community of social and personality psychologists who would normally come to an SPSP meeting, do not receive travel support. Travel reimbursement for speakers outside the community must comply with regular SPSP travel guidelines. Honoraria are rare and require prior approval of the Society. The EC agreed to clarify these issues about how the requested funds can be used in Executive Session, but indicated that the amount requested was reasonable. Sanjay indicated that the comments from the EC were compatible with the Program Committee’s request.

David Funder sought reactions about the Open Member Meeting conducted on Saturday of the conference. The response was positive, and David asked the Program Committee to schedule an Open Member Meeting at future conventions, during an "extra” (e.g., 12th) time slot, so that it would not adversely affect the symposia acceptance rate. He also stated that holding the meeting on a Saturday worked out well, allowing for consideration of issues that crystallize during the conference. A straw vote was taken, and a majority voted to continue with the Open Member Meeting. Sanjay and Eli will communicate this to the Program Committee.

 

DCC Report: 

Rudy Mendoza-Denton, representing the Committee in place of Stephanie Fryberg, explained that a written report was not available in time for the agenda book, but the DCC submitted an e-file to the Executive Office to be included in the summer agenda book for the record.

He commented that there were issues with the processing of Diversity Fund Graduate Travel Award applicants, but that the DCC will review the issues with more current details and report the results to the Executive Office. Rudy reported that the Diversity Reception went very well and the new continuous loop PowerPoint display of all the Diversity Award recipients was enthusiastically received. He further indicated that the DCC still needs to review the Demographic Survey questions on the Dues Statements, which has limited response, and consider new framing of the items and placement. Rudy also discussed how the DCC will be working on their Task-Timeline to specifically distribute and delegate responsibilities so no single person is bearing an overwhelming load.

 

GSC Report: 

Paul Conway reported that Erica Schneid was recently elected as the new GSC President. She was a GSC member this past year, so the continuity should work out well. Paul said from the students’ perspective, the conference was a great success. He stated that the GSC Symposium had 124 attendees and the Mentor Lunch had 323 attendees. He noted that having the lunches brought to the room worked very well, but communicating with Janet Kearney on it required several iterations of clarifications. Paul also mentioned that 145 people signed up for the Speed Data’ing session, but only 58 turned up. The GSC will be reviewing that session for future conventions. He indicated that the GSC Poster Session turned out well, but a more prominent location would have been desirable. The GSC Lounge was highly used and valuable, especially because of the free Wi-Fi.

Paul felt that the combined Training Committee and GSC Preconference was unusually successful. The GSC would like to continue including the Worth Publisher sponsorship next year, even though it was only for afternoon snacks.

The off-site Student Social Gathering was also a great success. GSC anticipated 400 attendees, and they reached that number within the first hour. The final total was 479. Paul stated their Sona and Millisecond sponsors were terrific, and he would recommend using them again. He also explained that sponsoring the social event can help promote the safety of students, who might otherwise go to parties or social establishments in less safe areas.

Members of the EC discussed why it would be valuable for SPSP to set up sponsorship guidelines so sponsorship stays within the spirit and mission of SPSP. Wendi Gardner reminded the group that next year FASEB wants to coordinate all of the sponsorships. Wendi will work with the Executive Office and FASEB on this issue.

 

The meeting was adjourned for lunch at 12:15 PM.

The meeting was reconvened at 1:05 PM.

 

Training Committee Report: 

Stacey Sinclair described the progress the Training Committee has made on the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). A 3-page report on SURP was submitted by the Training Committee for the Summer 2012 Agenda Book. The Committee has been developing a pilot program for 5 students for the summer of 2014, but she needed guidance about whether the committee should proceed with organizing the details. She anticipated that ~ $30, 000 in financial support would be needed. Stacey was asked if FPSP could be a potential source of funding, and the EC agreed that could be explored.

Questions were raised about the infrastructure needed to support the program, which could depend on progress in Executive Office restructuring. The EC expressed its continued support for a pilot program (for up to 5 undergraduate participants) in the summer of 2014. While optimistic that a supporting infrastructure (e.g., support for financial exchanges, publicity, application processing) might be in place in time to support the pilot program for 2014, it recognized that preliminary concrete steps needed to be made before the Society proceeded with implementation. The infrastructure of the Executive Office and office staffing needs to be sufficiently set up and functioning for mid-2013 through 2014 to handle the additional workload. The EC charged Jack Dovidio to get back to Stacey after further discussion during the Executive Committee session.

A question was brought up about videotaping various conference events, such as the Training Committee and GSC Preconference talks. There was some concern expressed that making these talks available through video-recordings might reduce attendance at the preconference as people may choose to attend a different preconference. Other initiatives might involve recording the Block-Campbell-Distinguished Scholar Award talks, statistics training modules, and TED-type talks on various issues. The EC encouraged the Training Committee to work with Don Forsyth, the Convention Committee, the PIO, and the Program Committee on these initiatives.

 

FABBS Report: 

Harry Reis, an SPSP representative to FABBS, explained the background of FABBS, its function, and its challenges. He commented that FABBS does a very good job staying on top of political developments and conveying scientific information to policy-makers. It also is well-placed to intervene quickly when problems for the field arise. He reported that the Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) has pulled out of FABBS, but that there are still 23 organizations committed to it. Harry encouraged the Society to reflect upon whether FABBS can be an effective advocate for the Society and psychological science (given the activity of lobbyists for other interests with greater resources and political influence) and consider alternatives. He indicated that the organizational representatives to FABBS voted to approve a $1 per member increase in organizational dues to FABBS, but that APA – the largest organization involved in FABBS – will not be paying the increased dues. The proposal to support an increase in FABBS dues by $1 (from $14 to $15 per full Member) for 2014 was approved 11-0-0. Jack Dovidio was asked to look into the ongoing SPSP-FABBS relationship with Paula Skedsvold.

 

FPSP Report: 

Harry Reis, the new FPSP President, reported that he has had conversations with the FPSP board in the past two months, in addition to talking with four different consultants. He summarized key points that emerged from these discussions. FPSP’s goal is to have a plan developed by SPSP’s 2013 summer EC meeting.

Harry reported that FPSP’s new Board consists of Harry Reis, Wendy Mendes, Lynne Cooper, Geraldine Downey, Rich Petty, and one additional person pending. Harry stated that he expected much greater activity and progress for FPSP in the next year.

The possibility of folding FPSP into SPSP was mentioned. Harry stated that relevant issues to consider are that (1) FPSP is solely dedicated to raising money, whereas SPSP has many other demanding activities; and (2) there is an ambiguous legal status between APA/Division 8 and SPSP, Inc. A question was raised about where FPSP funds would go if FPSP no longer existed. Harry indicated that the FPSP bylaws state that the funds can be assigned to a 501-(c) (3) organization of its choice.

David Funder explained that SPSP’s contribution to FPSP, which was approved by the EC for 2013, was being withheld until the Society received a satisfactory response from FPSP to the financial review by SPSP’s CFO. Harry assured David that such a report would be forthcoming.

 

Website Report: 

Don Forsyth explained that he has assumed broader duties for web activities because of both personnel changes within the Society and a clearer vision of what needs to be done. He acknowledged that the design and technical issues, along with unanticipated responsibilities associated with membership, have had higher priority than content. Don emphasized that communication should be the main goal for the website and that the new site (initiated January 2012) has impressive capabilities. However, he remarked that he overestimated the technical expertise of members and is redesigning the website with that in mind. He also indicated that international members have particular difficulties navigating the website, so he is working to make webpage instructions simpler, which should broadly benefit all members.

Don discussed the issue, which has involved substantial correspondence on his part, that post docs are not recognized in our current suite of membership categories. He recommended establishing a category that includes post-docs and to make sure that categories for dues and for registration match. The EC discussed a range of issues associated with defining a post-doc category and recommended that the Society consider creating an "early career” category that should include post docs. This early career category would be self-reported. The EC supported Don’s suggestion and asked Jack Dovidio to develop a proposal for further consideration in Executive Session. (A proposal was subsequently developed and approved by the EC, which Jack was charged to communicate to Don.)

Don also explained that the membership year ends August 31 each year. This causes confusion as most other societies use the calendar membership year. Don proposed extending the 2013 membership through 12/31/13, and thereafter the membership would run from 1/1 through 12/31 each year. An 11-0-0 EC vote approved the change.

The listserv was discussed by both Don Forsyth and Shelly Gable, who has been moderating the listserv since October. They were in agreement the listserv should be moved to a forum format. Paul Conway remarked that the GSC listserv should also be converted to a forum format to be consistent. The EC supported these changes and asked Don to implement them.

Don reminded the EC that he will finish his term 12/31/13, so a Web Editor search is needed. The EC agreed to take appropriate actions to initiate a search as soon as possible and to further discuss the potential steps in Executive Session. The members of the EC expressed their gratitude to Don for his efforts and commitment to the Society.

 

Publication Committee Report: 

Carolyn Morf updated the EC about the search for a new PSPR Editor. Mark Leary completes his term 12/31/13. The Publication Committee is actively engaged in the search for his replacement and expects to bring a nomination to the EC by the summer meeting. She reported that PSPB and SPPS are functioning well.

Carolyn summarized the Publication Committee discussions about the cases of academic fraud and explained the many complex issues associated with it. She noted, for example, that flagging articles not formally identified as fraudulent but suspect because of one author can unfairly penalize co-authors. There was a discussion about the problem that articles that have been determined to be fraudulent and retracted are not directly identified as such in electronic abstracting, leading people unfamiliar with their history to cite them as valid. David Funder stated that he will appoint a Task Force, including representation from the Publication Committee, to address this issue. He would like to have the Task Force work intensely during a retreat (funded by SPSP) and produce a document to inform SPSP’s position, possibly for publication in PSPR (with the Editor’s approval). Carolyn suggested that individuals with particular statistical and methodological expertise be invited to be on the Task Force and to coordinate efforts with APA and Sage.

Carolyn reported that the Publication Committee discussed Dialogue thoroughly at a separate meeting. They recommend dissolving the newsletter, because award information and meeting minutes are now available on our website, the Editors of Dialogue continue to have difficulty finding people to write pieces, and paying people to write articles is not something SPSP wants to start. An EC vote was taken with a vote of 11-0-0 to discontinue Dialogue after 12/31/13. The EC thanked the Publication Committee for a thoughtful and thorough review. David Funder will communicate this decision to Chuck Stangor.

Carolyn reviewed the discussion of the Publication Committee about the proposal for a new "Comprehensive Results in Social Psychology” (CRSP) journal. There was considerable discussion about the merits of the journal and SPSP’s involvement. There were mixed reactions to the proposal, some enthusiastic reactions and some strong reservations. A straw vote to continue to explore the possibility of the new journal yielded 12 in favor, 7 opposed, and 6 abstentions. The EC asked the Publication Committee to continue to explore the options for the proposed journal by contacting the people who proposed the journal and the relevant societies and to obtain more information, to evaluate the merits of the proposed journal as materials further develop, and to offer the committee’s recommendation as soon as possible, or at the latest by the Summer EC Meeting.

David Funder expressed his appreciation, on behalf of the entire EC, for the outstanding work of the Publication Committee and Carolyn’s skillful leadership of it.

 

PIO Report: 

Lisa Munoz briefly reviewed her PIO Report. She reported that 13 members of the press attended the SPSP conference, which was good considering the limited number in the geographic area. There were already three press releases and an impressive number of hits for them. Tweeting activity was higher than last year. Lisa also informed the EC that between 40-50 people attended the media training session that she offered. She believes that, in the future, more of an active workshop of 2-3 hours would be even more effective. Members of the EC expressed support for moving in that direction. Lisa also expressed concerns about the timing of the 2014 SPSP Convention in Austin relative to AAAS for press coverage. Wendi Gardner agreed to talk with FASEB to explore the possibility of alternative dates for the Austin meeting.

 

Executive Office Restructure Task Force Report:

Trish Devine presented an overview of the history leading to the initiative to restructure the Executive Office. The Task Force recommends retaining the position of Executive Officer and outlines a chain of command from the Executive Committee to the Executive Officer to a new position of Director of Administration and Finance (DAF), who would oversee the Administrative Assistant/Committee Coordinator and Administrative Assistant/Convention and Membership Coordinator positions. Devine will be assembling an Executive Officer Search Task Force.

The EC discussed the potential cost of restructuring the Executive Office, whether a central office in which the DAF and two administrative assistants are located is necessary, and the preferred location for the potential central office. Washington DC, Chicago, and Bowling Green (OH) were discussed as sample sites, considering availability of personnel and personnel costs, accessibility, and rental costs. It was decided that determining the preference of locations would inform the search for a DAF. A straw vote was taken with 12 people expressing a preference for DC and 9 for Chicago. It was understood that the vote was not binding. An EC vote was taken to empower the Working Group (consisting of Trish Devine, Jenny Crocker, Monica Biernat, David Funder, Jamie Pennebaker, Wendy Wood, and Jack Dovidio) to begin interviews to hire a Director of Administration and Finance (DAF), 11-0-0. The goal is to have the DAF hired and the location chosen by the summer 2013 meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:22 PM.

The SPSP session was re-convened at 4:37 PM.

 

SISPP Report: 

Sam Gosling reported that the grant submitted by him, Iris Mauss, and Jack Dovidio, has been approved by NSF and people are working to get it in place. Susie Schroeder will become the grant administrator, replacing David Dunning.

Sam informed the EC that the members of the SISPP Committee and local SISPP contacts met at the SISPP annual planning dinner meeting in New Orleans. Sam reported that arrangements are in good shape. There is still need for one workshop instructor, but he feels that they have time to work it out.

When new SISPP members are sought for next year’s SISPP Committee, they would like to try to seek some European members. Two names were mentioned and will be retained as possible candidates when nominees for committee membership are considered at the Summer EC Meeting.

 

Fellows Committee Report: 

Jack Dovidio reported that there was no additional information to be considered beyond that presented in the Fellows Committee Report in the Agenda Book. He commended Shige Oishi for his excellent leadership of the committee.

The session was adjourned at 4:50 PM.

 

 

SPSP Meeting Minutes, Sunday Evening, January 20, 2013, New Orleans

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Wood, Zárate

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

 

The Executive Session convened at 7:30pm

 

Award Committee

Jack Dovidio indicated that there were no issues of discussion for the Award Committee.

 

GSC

For better transition and due to the complexity and number of activities handled by the GSC, the EC approved (11-0-0) inviting the incoming GSC President to attend the Winter EC meeting, in addition to the GSC’s current President. The expectation of attending the meeting through Sunday afternoon and the reimbursement guidelines will be the same as for committee chairs attending the meeting.

 

Program Committee

The request for reimbursement for expenses for speakers outside the community of personality and social psychologists was discussed and supported in principle on Sunday afternoon.

On Sunday evening, the EC developed specific guidelines for financial support of the Program Committee’s two invited symposia: Each speaker for these invited symposia from outside the SPSP community (those who would not ordinarily attend the conference) would be reimbursed for receipted travel and lodging expenses consistent with SPSP policies (e.g., coach airfare, lodging at an SPSP convention hotel).

Both speakers outside the SPSP community and invited symposia participants within the SPSP community would receive comped (i.e., waived) conference registration. Request for exceptions must be considered in advance by the Executive Committee.

 

Don Forsyth’s request to revisit the SPSP membership/dues categories

The EC voted (11-0-0) to establish a new Early Career membership category, along with the existing Student (graduate and undergraduate), Regular Member, and Retired Member categories.

Early Career Members will be members who have received their Ph.D. within two calendar years prior to the membership year in which they are enrolling (i.e., membership year – 2). That is, if members are applying to be members for 2014, they will be considered Early Career Members if they received their Ph.D. in 2012, 2013, or 2014.

Jack Dovidio was asked to work with Don Forsyth to revise the membership enrollment form (online and hard copy) to ask members the year they received their Ph.D. The online version should generate the appropriate dues amount.

The EC voted (11-0-0) to set the dues for Early Career Members as $35 to start for the 2014 dues year.

The EC voted (11-0-0) to set the conference registration fee for Early Career Members for the 2014 SPSP conference at a point midway between the registration fee for the Student Member category and the registration fee for the Regular Member category.

The EC asked the Executive Office to determine the economic impact on the Society of establishing an Early Career Member category after the 2014 SPSP Conference.

The 2013 SPSP elections for 2014 EC members:

Preliminary slates of candidates for several EC positions were developed. Those positions, to start January 2014, will be presented to the SPSP membership for elections this spring include: President Elect, two Members at Large, and a Division 8 Council Representative.

 

Ideas for Web-Based Activities

Jamie Pennebaker raised a number of issues about the future of publishing, noting that many organizations, including APA, employ an old and outdated publishing style. He noted that the content of what has traditionally been included in Dialogue is well suited for dissemination on the Society’s website. Jamie urged the EC "to think five years into the future, to be leaders, and to think differently on how we communicate.” Jamie indicated that he will give high priority to advancement in the web and publishing during his tenure on the EC. He identified specific goals: (a) web development; (b) better articulation of how we want to use communication technology, (c) enhancing connection between members and the Society, and (d) more effectively disseminating information within our science and outside our science. The EC agreed that the Society needed to think more creatively and expansively about communication and publication-related issues, while recognizing that publication income is currently the main source of income for the Society.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:20 PM.

The meeting was reconvened 10:40 PM

 

Ribbons for Various Categories on Conference Badges

A proposal for using ribbons for identifying invited speakers, award recipients, EC members, and other notable attendees was discussed. The discussion weighed potential advantages this would provide for the press and other attendees with implications for the egalitarian values of the Society. The EC agreed that using different colored name badges (instead of adding ribbons) for the press and select award recipients represented a good start and a good compromise. Wendi Gardner agreed to communicate this to FASEB.

 

Listserv

The moratorium on recruiting participants for studies through the SPSP listerv was discussed. While allowing people to recruit participants is a potentially valuable service for members, concerns were raised about unwanted traffic on the listserv and the need for procedures ensuring IRB approval and evaluating the validity of the research projects. Shelly Gable explained that replacing the current listserv with forums on the website would allow members to opt-in to various forums as a function of their interest. A separate forum could be established for studies, which could include a disclaimer by the Society. Also, it was noted that there has been interest in having a forum for advertising graduate programs, books, and other scholarly opportunities. It was suggested that Shelly Gable, currently moderating the listserv, and Jennifer Beer might work with Don Forsyth to develop these forums and guidelines for them.

The evening meeting adjourned 11 PM.

 

SPSP Meeting Minutes, Monday, January 21, 2013, New Orleans

Attendees:

Executive Committee Members: Beer, Devine, Funder, Gable, Gardner, Gosling, Pennebaker, Pietromonaco, Vescio, Wood, Zárate

Executive Office: J. Dovidio, L. Dovidio, Schroeder

 

The meeting was convened at 9:20 AM.

 

Convention/FASEB Issues (cont’d)

Wendi Gardner asked the members of the Executive Committee whether, in discussions with FASEB about the timing of the 2015 conference, the last week in February would be an acceptable time for the convention. The members of the EC agreed that it could be considered. It was noted, however, that attempts should be made to keep the winter and summer EC meetings appropriately spaced.

Trish Devine proposed that, following the recommendations of Toni Schmader and Wendi Gardner, the Society honor Cindy Pickett for her extraordinary efforts in the transition between event planners for the 2013 conference. After a brief discussion by the EC about the exceptional circumstances during the past year and why, as a consequence, the proposal would not set a precedent for remuneration for Society chairs, the EC voted unanimously to support the proposal honoring Cindy Pickett for taking on major responsibilities during the transition from TME to FASEB. Trish Devine was designated to contact Cindy to convey the Society’s appreciation, inform her of the stipend, and initiate arrangements for payment through the Executive Office.

 

Listserv Policy (cont’d)

The EC affirmed the decision, made Sunday night, to allow members to opt-into various web forums for specific types of messages, which will replace current listserv.

 

Mailing List Policy

Jack Dovidio reminded the EC that the Society sells it mailing list based on two principles: (a) the use of the mailing list is consistent with the scholarly and educational mission of the Society, and (b) the purchaser will not re-sell or distribute the mailing list to others. The EC re-affirmed the mailing list policy and asked Jack to put the policy in writing.

 

The SPSP session was adjourned at 9:28 AM.

The SPSP session was reconvened at 9:51 AM.

 

SPSP, Inc. By-Laws

The EC discussed the need for a comprehensive updating of the SPSP, Inc. By-Laws. Susie Schroeder pointed out that any changes should be consistent with the Articles of Incorporation. Other comments emphasized that a revision of the By-Laws would not be limited to reflecting current practice better; it might also involve changes in structure (e.g., longer Presidential terms), establishment of new committees (e.g., an audit committee), and redefinition of roles (e.g., of the Secretary-Treasurer). The revision process also needs to be coordinated with the pending Executive Office restructuring. Wendy Wood and Jack Dovidio were asked to begin a preliminary review and provide a progress report at the Summer EC Meeting.

Note: The Bylaws were sent to all EC members for their review after the meeting.

 

Latane Symposium

David Funder described Bibb Latane's offer of limited funding to support an interdisciplinary symposium at SPSP, in which the selection of speakers would be entirely the responsibility of the Society. EC discussion focused on the important contributions Bibb has made to the field and the Society, how this initiative might dovetail with and enhance support for the Program Committee's proposal of invited symposia, and potentially lead to longer-term funding. Wendi Gardner was asked to speak to Bibb about his interest and, if possible, to develop an appropriate proposal as soon as possible.

If arrangements with Bibb look promising, the EC agreed to initiate discussions with the Program Committee to explore whether Bibb’s interests might dovetail with the Program Committee’s plan for invited symposia.

 

Web Editor Search

The EC agreed to proceed with the search for a replacement of the current Web Editor, Don Forsyth. The plan proposed was to have a two-step process. The first phase would involve developing a vision for the web activities of the Society and an appropriate structure to support the vision. The second phase would involve searching for an appropriate candidate for nomination at the summer 2013 Executive Committee Meeting. The approved candidate would formally begin in the position on January 1, 2014. Jamie Pennebaker and Sam Gosling agreed to begin this process, suggesting additional members in the process as the relevant issues became better clarified. The EC supported this plan.

 

Executive Officer Search

Trish Devine reported that Paula Pietromonaco will chair the Executive Officer Search Committee. Randy Larsen and Mark Snyder will also be asked to serve on the Search Committee. A new Executive Officer should be in place to overlap sufficiently with Jack Dovidio, whose term ends June 30, 2014.

 

Training Committee/SURP (cont’d)

The final decision about initiating the Summer Undergraduate Research Program in 2014 will be made at the Summer 2013 Executive Committee Meeting, contingent upon (a) progress in hiring

 

a Director of Administration and Finance for the Executive Office, and (b) full preparation of the materials (e.g., advertisement, documentation of recruitment and selection procedures, letters of agreement for mentors, written expectations for faculty and student participants) and positive review of these materials by the EC. Jack Dovidio was charged with communicating this information to the Training Committee.

 

Nomination of Slates for New EC Members

The names of potential candidates for the election slates for President-Elect, two Members at Large, and an APA Division 8 Council Representative were reviewed and ranked. The Member at Large positions were considered in ways that represented the range of scholarly interests within the Society. EC members ranked the potential nominees for each position. The EC then reviewed the slates for representativeness, diversity, and balance. David Funder was charged with contacting people about their willingness to stand for election for these Executive Committee positions. The Executive Office retained the lists of potential nominees for future consideration.

 

Budget Vote

In addition to the changes to the 2013 Proposed SPSP Inc. Budget, presented on pages 45-50 of the 2013 Winter Meeting Agenda Book, changes were proposed to fund the activities discussed during the Executive Committee meeting. The Executive Committee unanimously supported the revised 2013 budget and 2014 budget items (11-0-0).

 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 AM.