Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Gain experience in psychology lab research
One of the best ways to know if a career in personality and social psychology is for you is to get first-hand experience in an active psychology research laboratory.
Below, we have compiled listings for research opportunities in psychology for undergraduate students.
- Michigan Summer Program in Cognition & Early Development (MSPICED) at the University of Michigan: June 1 – August 1, 2023; Deadline: February 15, 2023
- Cooperation Lab Summer Research Intern at Boston College: 10-11 weeks, start date between May 31 – August 4, 2023; Deadline: March 15, 2023
- Yale Psychology Summer Research Opportunities – See specific lab pages
- Emotion, Health, and Psychophysiology Lab Internship at UCSF: June 12 - August 4, 2023; Deadline: February 17, 2023
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Human-Computer Interaction at Carnegie Mellon University: May 30 – August 4, 2025; Deadline: January 15, 2023
- Summer Research Internship at Columbia Business School – Rolling decisions; Deadline: March 1, 2023
- Science Writing Internship at Princeton University: Paid; Eight weeks (approximately early June to early August); Applications open until positions are filled
- CNS Summer Undergraduate Research Program at NYU: May 30 – August 5, 2023; Rolling deadline (decisions starting January 30, 2023)
- Amgen Scholars Program at UCLA: June 25 – September 1, 2023; Deadline: February 1, 2023
- PRIMO at Harvard Business School: June 5 – August 10, 2023; Deadline: February 14, 2023
- The University of Alabama Summer Research Programs for Undergraduate Students Deadline: February 15, 2023
These programs seek students from underrepresented backgrounds, such as ethnic minorities, low-income, and first-generation students (see specific program descriptions for details).
- Summer Research Institute at the University of Arizona; Deadline: February 1, 2023 (applications submitted after February 1 will be reviewed until positions are filled)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship at Boston University; Deadline: April 1, 2023
- Summer Research Initiative at the University of Maryland; Deadline: February 10, 2023
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) at the University of Michigan; Deadline: February 3, 2023
- Moore Undergraduate Research Apprentice Program (MURAP) at the University of North Carolina; Deadline: February 13, 2023
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) at Northwestern University; Deadline: February 11, 2023
- R25 Summer Research Program at University of Oregon; Deadline: Rolling until filled offers start in mid-February
- Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) at the University of Texas at Austin; Applications open January 15, 2023; Deadline: March 1, 2023 (letters)
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship at Yale; Deadline: February 1, 2023
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) at Big 10 Alliance; Deadline: February 10, 2023
- Research Intensive Summer Experience at Rutgers University; Rolling admissions - recommended deadline: February 1 (approximately late January to mid-March)
- Pathways to Science Database
- Psychology Job & Internship Opportunities
- Psychology Job & Research Opportunities
- Job Opportunities (hosted at Johns Hopkins Dept. of Psychological and Brain Sciences)
- Job Postings (hosted at Social Psychology Network)
- EURO Scholars
- Research Experience for Undergraduate Students (REU) National Site List
Planning to live near a major college or university this summer? Consider contacting psychology faculty to inquire about research positions. Even those who do not have posted summer research positions may allow you to participate in research on a volunteer basis for the summer.
Please email us know if you know of other funded opportunities for undergraduate research or research opportunities for recent graduates and those taking a gap year between undergrad and graduate school.
For tips on how to find research employment after undergraduate and before graduate school, check out this resource from a recent SPSP meeting: https://osf.io/hx8uz