- Career Level:
- Senior Career
The Block Award is SPSP's senior career award for research accomplishment in personality psychology. It was named for Jack Block, who was known for his analytic and theoretical sophistication and depth, as well as for his broad interests. The recipients of this award are recognized for their scientifically rigorous career research accomplishments in personality psychology rather than for a specific discovery or article.
Founded in 2000, the Jack Block Award for Distinguished Research in Personality is a senior career award that honors a researcher for accomplishment in personality psychology. This award is intended to recognize rigorous research over one's career, rather than one specific discovery or publication.
Recipients of this award receive up to $1000 in travel ($1500 International), complimentary convention registration, up to three hotel nights at the convention hotel, and a plaque, with acknowledgment at the annual Awards Ceremony held at the SPSP Annual Convention. The recipient will also give an address in a special plenary session (along with the Campbell Award and Distinguished Scholar recipients).
- Research: Theoretical advancement, demonstrated through highly influential theoretical work that clearly demonstrates research impact over the career (through citations, grants, paper awards, or other metrics)
- Research: Scholarly leadership, demonstrated through an exceptional ability to effectively lead and collaborate in diverse research team(s) (based on identities, multi-site, international, across career stages, and/or multidisciplinary, etc.)
- Recipients should have shown career research accomplishment in personality psychology.
- A brief summary detailing the nominee’s scientifically rigorous career research accomplishments in personality psychology.
- Nominee's current vita in electronic format with a list of publications.
- Recipient should not have previously been awarded an SPSP senior career award (these include the Block Award, Campbell Award, Distinguished Scholar Award, Career Contribution Award, Methodological Innovator Award, and Application Award).
Andrew J. Elliot
Laura A. King
Oliver P. John
Lee Anna Clark
Mary K. Rothbart
Robert R. (Jeff) McCrae
Paul T. Costa
Lewis R. Goldberg
For more information, please contact [email protected]