Effective Date: 5/25/2018
This Notice explains how the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Inc. ("SPSP", "we", "group" or "us") collects and processes your Personal Data. Each time you use our Site, the current version of this Notice will apply. Accordingly, whenever you use our Site, you should check the date of this Notice (which appears at the top) and review any changes since the last version. This Notice is applicable to all Site visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Site.
"Personal Data" is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
By visiting http://www.spsp.org/ or related properties, (together the "Site"), you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Notice.
Who we are
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the "GDPR"), the Data Controller is the Society for Personality and Social Psychology registered in the District of Columbia USA with a registered address at 1120 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 280, Washington, DC 20036.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about this Notice, please contact us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Alternatively, you can contact us by phone at (202) 869-3240, by sending an email to email@example.com or by mail to 1120 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 280, Washington, DC 20036.
How we collect personal data
Personal Data that you give us
We may collect and process the following Personal Data:
- Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Membership information, about your membership including your name, contact details such as address, phone number and email address (business or personal), age, job title, affiliation year of PhD and any other information related to your membership. Membership information may be provided by you during the registration process, or by your employer on your behalf.
- Due payment information, including financial information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to register or renew your membership.
- Purchase information, relating to purchases made by members and non-members of event registration, apparel, journals or newsletter subscriptions either in-person or via our Site. Purchase information will include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase.
- Disciplinary information, relating to ethics/disciplinary programs in which complaints against members are adjudicated, with the result being possible suspension/expulsion from membership. This may include extensive information about a member's business or professional activities, including employment information, and similar information relating to other individuals involved in the investigation, though would usually not include financial information.
Personal data we collect from you
With regard to each of your visits to the Site we will automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number; and
- Location information
We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and we may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our Site, including, without limitation:
- IP addresses
- Browser type and plug-in details
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
- Operating system
- Local time zone
We may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
How we use your personal data
We will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) we are required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
Personal Data that you give us
We may use Personal Data that you provide directly to us for the following purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- to provide our newsletter and other publications, provided you have given your consent;
- to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- to transfer your information as part of a merger or sale of the business;
- to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information we collect about you
We will use Personal Data that we have collected about your use of our Site:
- to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
WHEN WE SHARE AND WHO CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Notice with:
- a member of our group
- partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the performance of obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
- trusted third-party companies and individuals to help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing)
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your Personal Data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- if SPSP or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
SELLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will never sell your Personal Data to third parties without your opt-in consent.
Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers.
Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA OUTSIDE OF THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA ("EEA") AND INTERNATIONAL USERS
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Service, you consent to any transfer of this information.
HOW LONG WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with our Site. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you service, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We maintain one or more databases to store your Personal Data and may keep such information indefinitely.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place
COOKIES ARE USED TO RECOGNIZE USERS WHEN THEY COME BACK TO OUR SITE, TO LEARN ABOUT WHICH PAGES ARE THE MOST VISITED AND TO ASSIST WITH A SINGLE SIGN-ON ACROSS SPSP DIGITAL ASSETS.
Cookies are text files sent by Web servers to Web browsers and are stored on the user's computer or mobile device. If the browser is loading a page and the server requests the Data stored in the cookie, the Data contained within the cookie is sent back to the server.
Cookies contain data about the user's activities on a website and can be used by Web servers to identify and track Users as they navigate different pages on that website and can identify Users returning to that website.
Cookies may be either "persistent" or "session" cookies. SPSP uses persistent cookies to enable our website to recognize you when you visit or return to an SPSP Website. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until you delete them or until it expires automatically at its expiration date. Session cookies are temporary cookies that typically expire at the end of the web browsing session on a website. SPSP uses session cookies to keep track of you while you navigate SPSP Digital Assets. A session cookie expires at the end of the user session, i.e. when the Web browser is closed.
Cookies contain Data that we have previously stored from prior interactions with SPSP Digital Assets and may allow us to link to other Data we have about you (My SPSP, previous purchases, subscriptions).
SPSP Digital Assets use Data we obtain from cookies for the following purposes:
- To recognize the user's computer when the user visits the website.
- To track some user actions only during the current website session.
- To improve the SPSP Digital Assets' usability.
- To analyze the use of the SPSP Digital Assets.*
- To assist SPSP with administering the SPSP Digital Assets.
- To share SPSP Digital Assets User Data with our third-party vendors.
When Users visit SPSP Digital Assets, third-party cookies (such as Google advertising cookies) may be sent to their computers by SPSP's advertisers or service providers. Third party advertisers may use data obtained from these cookies:
- To track Users browsing across multiple websites.
- To build profiles of Users' Web surfing.
- To target advertisements that may be of particular interest to Users.
Managing Your Cookie Settings
Most browsers allow you to control cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may limit your overall user experience, since it will no longer be personalized to you. It may also stop you from saving customized settings like login information.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES
Our Sites may contain links to third party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these sites, applications or services nor any association with their operators. Company is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party including websites or services directly linked to our Service. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party site that you link from our Service.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, you may do so by visiting the your SPSP profile page, or contacting us at email@example.com.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive marketing messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing message that you receive, by visiting your SPSP profile page, or by sending a message to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your European Rights
FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS ONLY. You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Data) if we intend to use your Personal Data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also exercise the right by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Data we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the Personal Data, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the Personal Data has been shared, where possible, the period for which the Personal Data will be stored, the source of the Personal Data, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your Personal Data. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personal Data we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request that Personal Data held about you is deleted.
- Object to processing of your Personal Data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Data.
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Data Request transfer of your Personal Data.You may have the right to request transfer of Personal Data directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
Withdraw your consent
In addition, where you believe that SPSP has not complied with its obligations under this Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner's Office.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal Data, we will notify you by revising the "Effective Date" at the top of this Notice, prominently posting an announcement of the changes on our Site, or sending an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address) prior to the new policy taking effect.
Any changes we make to this Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notification sent to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice.
By using or visiting the SPSP website or any of the software, data or services provided to you via the SPSP website, you agree to comply with the following terms and conditions. If you disagree with these terms and conditions or any part of these terms and conditions, you must not use this website.
Terms and Conditions
By using or visiting the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Inc. ("SPSP") website or any of the software, data or services provided to you via the SPSP website, you agree to comply with these terms and conditions. If you disagree with these terms and conditions or any part of these terms and conditions, you must not use this website.
WARNING: NOT INTENDED FOR PSYCHOLOGICAL TREATMENT AND ADJUSTMENT
This website contains only general information about psychological processes. The information is neither advice nor medical information, and should not be considered as treatment or as a basis for treatment in any particular situation. Do not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to advice from your psychologist, doctor or other professional healthcare provider.
If you have specific questions about any psychological matter you should consult your psychologist, doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you think you may be suffering from any psychological condition you should seek immediate attention.
You may use, view, display, download for caching purposes, and print pages from the website only for your own personal, noncommercial use or for noncommercial educational/research purposes, subject to the restrictions set out below and elsewhere in the SPSP website.
You must not:
- republish material from this website (including republication on another website);
- distribute, transmit, sell, rent or license material from this website;
- reproduce, duplicate, copy material on this website
- exploit material on this website for a commercial purpose; or
- plagiarize this website.
You must not use this website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software. You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of this website.
You understand that when using this website, you will be exposed to content from a variety of sources; and, that SPSP is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such content. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against SPSP with respect thereto, and, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, agree to indemnify and hold harmless SPSP, its officers, members of its Executive Committee, employees, agents, and legal counsel regarding all matters related to your use of the website.
SPSP does not endorse any content submitted to this website by any user, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein; and, SPSP expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with such content. SPSP does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights. SPSP reserves the right to remove content without prior notice.
You must not use this website in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the website; or in any way which is unlawful, fraudulent, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, pornographic, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or harmful, fraudulent or harmful.
You must not impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your identity or affiliation with another person or entity.
You must not violate any local, state, national, or international law or regulations in connection with your use of this website.
You must not use this website for any content which may be construed in any way as support for or opposition to any candidate for a federal, state or local public office. The federal law providing for SPSP's tax exempt status forbids the use of SPSP resources or facilities, including this web resource, in any way that would even appear to support or oppose any such political candidate.
If you are eligible, you may submit content to this website. You understand that SPSP does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any content which you submit.
You are solely responsible for your own content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your content on this website. You must not submit any content which you do not have the right to submit and publish. You represent and guarantee that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish the content which you submit to this website.
By submitting content to this website, you are not transferring to SPSP ownership rights in your content. However, by submitting content to this website, you hereby grant to SPSP a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, publish and perform the content in any way and in any form, media, or technology now known or hereinafter created or developed. You also hereby grant each user of this website a non-exclusive license to access your content through this website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display, publish and perform such content. The licenses granted by you are perpetual and irrevocable.
You agree that content which you submit to this website will not contain third party material protected by copyright, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant all of the foregoing license rights.
You must not post or transmit content which involves ad hominem criticism.
You must not use this website to transmit or send commercial communications or communications intended to proselytize readers on behalf of a particular religion.
You must not submit any advertising, junk mail, spam, chain letters, investment or loan schemes, casino or gambling offers, or any other form of commercial or noncommercial solicitation.
NOTE: The statements, views, and opinions submitted to this website are those of the individuals making the submissions. They are not endorsed by, nor do they necessarily reflect, the position of SPSP.
Access to certain areas of this website is restricted. SPSP reserves the right to restrict access to these areas of this website, or indeed this entire website, at SPSP's discretion. If SPSP provides you with a user ID and password to enable you to access restricted areas of this website or other content or services, you must ensure that the user ID and password are kept confidential. SPSP may disable your user ID and password in SPSP's sole discretion without notice or explanation.
Conduct of Research
You must not conduct any data collection activities (including without limitation systematic or automated data collection, scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on this website.
Anyone submitting a link to a research study not yet begun or in progress, or who requests that SPSP do so, hereby represents and guarantees the following:
- Such person has full legal authority to do so;
- Such person is authorized to do so by the principal investigator;
- Such research has been approved by the appropriate Institutional Review Board(s); and,
- The principal investigator has obtained the informed consent of participants.
Note: Any user of this website participating in research mentioned in this website, as a participant or otherwise, understands and agrees that SPSP is not responsible for the investigator(s)' compliance with the foregoing requirements nor for the safety of the research; that SPSP makes no warranty or claim as to the content or quality of such research; that SPSP is not responsible or liable for the content of research mentioned in this website; and, SPSP is not responsible nor liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with any such research.
SPSP welcomes links to this website made in accordance with the terms of this linking policy.
- Links pointing to this website should not be misleading.
- Appropriate link text should be always be used.
- You must not link to this website using any inline linking technique.
- You must not frame the content of this website or use any similar technology in relation to the content of this website.
This website includes links to other websites owned and operated by third parties. These links are not endorsements or recommendations. SPSP has no control over the contents of third party websites. SPSP accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
You agree that, should SPSP request the deletion of a link to our website that is within your control, you will delete the link promptly. If you would like SPSP to remove a link to your website that is included on this website, please contact SPSP using the contact details below. Note that unless you have a legal right to demand removal, such removal will be at our discretion.
Should you have any questions about this linking policy, please contact: Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Inc.
or email at email@example.com
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") by providing our Copyright Agent (identified below) with the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
SPSP's designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: Brian Riddleberger, Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Inc., 1120 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 280
or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that your content was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the material in your content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to the Copyright Agent:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the material; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located, or if your address is outside the United States, for any judicial district in which SPSP may be found, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by the Copyright Agent, SPSP may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that it may replace the removed material or cease disabling it in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the material provider, the removed material may be replaced, or access to it restored, in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice, at SPSP's sole discretion.
This website is provided "as is" without any representations or warranties, express or implied. SPSP makes no representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SPSP does not warrant that:
- this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or
- the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or non-misleading.
SPSP will not be liable to you (whether under the law of contact, the law of torts or otherwise) in relation to the contents of, or use of, or otherwise in connection with, this website:
- for any indirect, special or consequential loss; or
- for any business losses, loss of revenue, income, profits or anticipated savings, loss of contracts or business relationships, loss of reputation or goodwill, or loss or corruption of information or data.
- these limitations of liability apply even if SPSP has been expressly advised of the potential loss.
By using this website, you agree that the Terms and Conditions, exclusions and limitations of liability set out in this website are reasonable. If you do not think they are reasonable, you must not use this website.
Use of this website is a revocable privilege. Without prejudice to SPSP's other rights under these Terms and Conditions, you understand and agree SPSP may take such action as SPSP deems appropriate for any reason or no reason at all to suspend your access to the website, prohibit you from accessing the website, block computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contact your internet service provider to request that it block your access to the website and/or bringing court proceedings against you.
Revisions and Variation
SPSP may revise these Terms and Conditions from time-to-time without notice to you. Revised Terms and Conditions will apply to the use of this website from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on this website. Please check regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with the State of Connecticut without regard to its conflict of laws or provisions. You hereby consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Connecticut and to the federal district court of the District of Columbia.
SPSP reserves all rights not expressly granted in these Terms and Conditions
- Policy for Accessing SPSP Membership for Survey Research (PDF)