After the Convention: Now What?
Another SPSP annual convention has come and gone. What should you be doing after you’ve attended the convention? SPSpotlight co-editor, Vivian Ta, offers some tips.
Each year, I look forward to the SPSP annual convention. Hearing speakers discuss cutting-edge research, new ideas, and being reunited with friends always leaves me inspired and pumped to get back to work. However, what you do after attending the convention can be just as important as what you do while you’re there. Here are some ideas for what you can do post-convention to round out your experience and make the most of next year’s meeting:
- Review your notes ASAP. I’ve written notes to myself during symposia-- only to completely forget why I wrote it down in the first place after returning home. Make sure you review your notes as soon as possible in order to prevent this from happening.
- Stay in touch using Connect! and social media. Chances are, you met a lot of great people and want to stay in contact with them. Many SPSP annual convention attendees are active on the Connect! online forums and on social media (e.g., Twitter), which are great ways to stay updated on their latest work.
- Figure out what works and what doesn’t. Were there events/programs that you wanted to participate in, but couldn’t? Was your conference schedule too busy, leaving you exhausted by the 2nd day? Reflect back upon your convention experience to determine how you can optimize your time and experience for next year.
- Rest. Conventions can be exhausting. You may feel inspired and compelled to get back to work immediately, but do yourself a favor and take a day or two to recover and rest.
- Keep your eye on the calendar. Paper/poster submissions for next year’s convention will be here before you know it. Make sure you plan accordingly.
By staying current with your notes, continuing to network with attendees, reflecting on your experience, catching up on some relaxation, and preparing to submit for next year’s convention, you’ll help ensure that you have an exceptional experience at the 2018 convention, as well!