Inside the Grant Panel
When: Friday, February 9, 2024, 3:15 PM – 4:25 PM PST
Where: Ballroom 6D Upper Level, San Diego Convention Center (In-Person) and Virtual
A Small Grant Competition
Inside the Grant Panel will be presented in person during SPSP’s Annual Convention and live-streamed on the virtual convention platform, Whova.
Inside the Grant Panel is a small grant competition that provides members with a behind-the-scenes view of how the grant review process works. Members are encouraged to submit an application to fund a relatively inexpensive, well-powered study that may be submitted for publication and for presentation at a future SPSP convention. From the application pool, three finalists will be selected. The three finalists must be members of SPSP for 2024 and register to attend the annual convention in person.
During the Inside the Grant Panel session at the Annual Convention, experienced SPSP member reviewers discuss the merits and weaknesses of the three finalists and score them to determine a winner and two runners-up.
The winner will receive a $3,000 grant for their research and the runners-up will receive $1,000 research grants. Inside the Grant Panel is intended to be an educational experience for both applicants and audience members and is open to any current SPSP member.
Awards may be used to compensate participants (online or in-person), purchase supplies, travel to research sites, or pay research assistants. Funds may not be used for salary or travel to conferences, and no indirect costs will be granted to the awardee’s institution. If the grantee’s institution cannot receive grants without direct costs being assumed, payments and tax-reporting responsibility fall upon the grantee.
Award recipients must submit a report of the research to SPSP and credit the grant in any resulting publications. Awardees are also encouraged to submit completed research for presentation at the following SPSP convention and will be invited to attend the Inside the Grant Panel at the annual convention the following year.
Awardees are also encouraged to submit completed research for presentation at the following SPSP Annual Convention and will be invited to attend the Inside the Grant Panel at the Annual Convention the following year.
- November 1 – December 5, 2023: Application portal open
- January 2024: Finalists announced
- February 9. 2024: Inside the Grant Panel: SPSP2024 (In person and live-streamed)
- 2023 – Kayden Jordan, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology – The Impact of Language Style on Evaluations of Political Figures and their Policies
- 2022 – Erin Hughes, Northwestern University – Contributors to relationship quality of those whose partner is incarcerated
- 2021 – Matthew Leitao, Georgetown University – Information, Behavior, and Digital Belief
- 2020 – Rich Lopez, Bard College – Longitudinal, Comparative Assessment of Multiple Regulatory Strategies to Promote Healthier Eating Patterns
- 2019 – Adrienne Wood and Thalia Wheatley, Dartmouth College – Predicting future social network position from the interactions of strangers: A longitudinal study of large-scale naturalistic behavior
- 2018 – Emorie Beck, Washington University in St. Louis – Personalized Interventions: Using Networks to Change Behavior and Predict Outcomes